News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New computer needed

Started by Vern P, July 27, 2013, 11:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern P

You may have seen this on the other list, but I wanted to ask here too.

After 14 years WebTv is pulling the plug in Sept. (14 years with a $200 toy computer)

Now I have 2 choice, #1 shut down the internet, #2 Move to a real computer.  True #1 my be the best one.

Looking for suggestion on what to look at or get.

Remember that most of you are at a collage level with computers and I am at 1st grade.

Need something simple, as there is no one around here that knows much more than I do.  (yes I am in SLC, UT).

A Tablet has been surgested, but I have not looked at anything yet. Comcast for the ISP too.  Yes I know I need to, but just have not.

Surgestions ??
Vern P.

baldopeacock

Vern,

I guess it depends on what you want the computer to do for you.   If you've been using Web TV and been satisfied, then you might be happy with a tablet.

If that's the case, I'd like to suggest a "tablet with a keyboard", sort of.   Take a look at the Google Chromebooks.   I bought the Samsung Chromebook for my wife a few months ago and she loves it.    She works with a Windows desktop machine every day, but she likes the no-hassle, don't have to know how to fix it character of the Chromebook.     It boots almost instantly,  it's pretty responsive, and it has a real keyboard.   I've lived with the iPad for quite awhile, and it was great, but I always wished it had a real keyboard.   Not a problem with the Chromebook.    It's designed to be easy to learn and easy to operate.

They start at $199.

WesternElectricBen

Vern, I'm not sure how much you want to pay, but I recently bought a dell optiplex gx620 with a 80 gig drive and 2.5 gigs of ram. And either win xp or win 7, but you could save money an use Linux a free os.

I paid about 60 dollars for the dell and it's speedy on the Internet.

Hope that helps,
Ben

xhausted110

If you need a computer, I can give you a Dell, Pentium 4. I can install windows XP and free virus protection (you never know) just plug it into your internet and go, for the price of shipping a keyboard,mouse,computer,and monitor PM me if you are interested.
- Evan

WesternElectricBen

Vern, go with what xhausted110 said.