News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 302

Started by Kenny C, May 24, 2010, 04:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Here are some pictures of my 302 I got last week. It was in pretty rough shape when i got it.Stub1953 is the only one who has seen it before i cleaned it. I forgot to take before pics of it. Well here it is. sorry it looks so dusty a black phone is never clean
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
Do you have it working yet ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kenny C

of course i do its sound is far better than a 500 i think  it is almost all mathing dates from 5-52 except the handset cord
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Looks good, Kenny.  Congratulations!  The dial card has a familiar exchange.

Kenny C

i made the dial card it says COttrell
                                            7-4638

i know it i not layed out right but it fits
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan/Panther

Kenny;
many dial cards were not symmetrical.
D/P

Kenny C

oh ok well i liked it and i thought that was all that matters
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Hey Kenny,
                Looks like a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When I  got this phone in it was not a pretty thing, handset cord twisted into and dial squealed on return, I thought we had been had. The e-bay pic looked good but was deceiving. I lightly cleaned and lubed the dial and put it back together and called Kenny to find out when to meet him to exchange the phone.  I thought it would take a few days for him to clean it up , but Kenny had me to call him at home the next day, and he answered on the 302 and it sounded great.  Great job Kenny.  I really don't think you needed any help !!   Good job , well done.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Congratulations, Kenny.  I knew that you would get a 302 soon.  The one that I recently gave to my friends is also from 1952 and appeared to be all original, including the handset cord which had to be replaced anyway.  BTW, my friends (the husband, at least) love the phone.

Larry

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 24, 2010, 07:09:24 PM

Kenny;
I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying, I was agreeing with you, that how you did it, was the way many dial cards were done, so you did good.
D/P

McHeath

Nice work Kenny!  Nice and shiny, the way they were made.  I've yet to get a 302, and this one is a late model as well, by 52' they were almost done with production.  Good work.

Kenny C

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 24, 2010, 10:53:05 PM
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on May 24, 2010, 07:09:24 PM

Kenny;
I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying, I was agreeing with you, that how you did it, was the way many dial cards were done, so you did good.
D/P

I knew you were agreing with me i just thought it was supposed to be

COttrell-7
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rp2813

Kenny, I think the way they configured the alphanumerics on the number card all depended on who was doing it.  If I recall correctly, I've seen it both ways.  Yours looks fine.

Great looking phone too.  The 302 is a beautiful design and an absolute workhorse.  Those phones got recycled over and over and they just never quit.  Ma Bell got a return on their initial investment beyond their wildest dreams, I'm thinking.

Ralph
Ralph

Dan

Nothing like the pretty ring of a 302 ! (until the wife got tired of jumping in horror from the noise  in the bedroom).

Watch out, Kenny, you will want a metal one next, and once you hear a #4 dial (clickety clack!), you'll want one of these too.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright