News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cord from the handset is cut.

Started by SteveK, January 25, 2017, 11:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveK

Ok tried searching and could not find, from the handset with braided protective cord is fine but were the wires go into the unit they are cut. Did not see as electrical tape was over it, i really hope there is a way to sodder together or something as taking the handset apart i think will be very difficult. Any sugestions?  Thanks in advance.

AE_Collector

Where are the wires cut, going into the payphone or into the handset? Is it the armored type handset cord or a conventional coil cord?

Pictures would be great!

Terry

SteveK

They are cut going into the payphone. I will upload a pic tonight. Cord has a metal braiding on it. Metal braiding is not affected.

Victor Laszlo

The handset cannot be taken apart because the caps are welded during the manufacturing process, to reduce vandalism.

The correct term is "armored cord".

Depending upon how much wire is left, sticking out, you can certainly splice extra wire to each lead to extend them. I would suggest a mechanical splice, because trying to solder the leads, which are made of tinsel, will not work.  Even attempting to splice them with a B-connector or a Scotchlok will be problematical.  Ultimately you will get noise and static... better to replace the h/s and cord.

The entire handset, e/w armored cord, is available occasionally through Ebay and from this company:

https://www.payphone.com/Handsets-and-Handset-Parts/

There are several on Ebay right now, starting in price from $9.00, searching for the term "armored handset."

SteveK

Yes Victor after stripping the wires I see what you mean. Didn't believe it until seeing how thin and brittle they are. Any tips on how to unlock the cord so that I can take it off? Also can I use a cord and phone from a 500?

mentalstampede

Steve,

If I remember correctly the cord is locked into rear board of the phone by means of a setscrew.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

AE_Collector

We haven't had enough info to determine if this is a 3 slot or a single slot Payphone. AE single slots had one of several types of clamps that held the armoured cord into the housing leaving the actual 4 conductor handset cord unrestrained. When the handset is pulled on the armoured cord expands somewhat so the actual cord needs to be able to pull into the armoured cord housing a little to avoid the conductors breaking. If the wires are cut near the end of the armour (within an inch or so) and spliced there, a sharp pull on the handset will attempt to pull those splices into the armour and likely break the splices.

So it depends if this is for display purposes only, gentle use in the owners home or real world use. Even use in the owners home could likely see friends goofing around and pulling on the handset.

Terry

mentalstampede

Ahh, I just assumed the original poster has a Northern, since this is the NE subforum.

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 09, 2017, 11:03:48 AM
We haven't had enough info to determine if this is a 3 slot or a single slot Payphone.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

andre_janew

I've been wondering if it might be possible to put new spade terminals on the end of the cord and simply reuse it.

AE_Collector

Quote from: mentalstampede on February 09, 2017, 11:18:30 AM
Ahh, I just assumed the original poster has a Northern, since this is the NE subforum.

Good point, quite likely it is a Northern Payphone, I paid no attention to the board it is posted on.

So it could be three slot, centurion, millennium. I have never thought about it but was the Centurion Northern's first single slot Payphone and not updated until the millennium Payphone? Millennium had a handset with a handset type plug (4P4C) on it that plugged into the circuit board but I assume the Centurion used the conventional handset with spades?

Terry

SteveK

sorry it is a Northern three slot. allen key worked to loosen off the cord. these wires are super fine. there are four of them. a friend from work who works with fine wiring is going to have a go at putting back together. fingers crossed.

it is for home use only and will have little use. mostly cell phones ae used.....sad to say. i do think though if successful then should be ok as the allen key really held that cord firmly in place.

SteveK

OK I am 2 for 2 of getting the handsets apart with no damage. Two phones and four caps taken off. The earpiece caps were the toughest.Can I pull the existing line out and run telephone wire through the armored cord? And what gauge of wire to use? What to use to fish through the armored cord?
I had looked online purchasing and prices from 20 to 50 and then shipping for a replacement handset.
Thanks in advance.

mentalstampede

If the wire that's already in there is long enough, that will be your best bet for pulling new wire.

SteveK

Ah yes good call. What about the gauge of wire I can use to replace it?

mentalstampede

Wire size isn't critical. 18ga or so. You need four wires. If you have 4 conductor station cord that would work.