Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Every hunting lodge should have one!

Netdewt

Quote from: d_s_k on October 22, 2009, 03:04:21 AM
My flea market find a few years ago, the right one of these.
The leather telephone. Not as warm and comfortable for whats inside, as fur :)
Still for about $ 5-6.  Some fun.  It is really professional made, and has to be handmade.

dsk

This is a "Rhapsody".

Greg G.

I keep running into truly hideous phones, so this thread is worth reviving.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

that looks like a bejewled raw hamburger patty lol
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

LarryInMichigan

Not only hideous, but really cheap-looking (an so unhygienic).

Larry

Greg G.

Here's the URL.  I'm pretty sure nobody here is trying to bid on it.  If you are, you need help!

Oh, and is "Princess" the new "Art Deco"?  I see it used for everything from Trimlines to stuff like this!

http://tinyurl.com/fuzzywuzzyfone
( dead link 02-21-21 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

Don't worry, we will not bid against you.  I think that this phone will make a fine companion for you bronze D1/E1, sort of like its female better half ;D

Larry

baldopeacock

Quote from: Brinybay on October 14, 2010, 04:04:19 PM
I keep running into truly hideous phones, so this thread is worth reviving.

That thing needs a shave.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 14, 2010, 05:32:25 PM
Briny,

Don't worry, we will not bid against you.  I think that this phone will make a fine companion for you bronze D1/E1, sort of like its female better half ;D

Larry

I think it is more like a floozy , A respectable phone wouldn't be seen in her company.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Yep it's a keeper alright.  ::)

Kenny C

This is on Ebay  :o oh the horror
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Do you think that is "factory" wallpaper (Mac Tac)?

This is my first time through all 9 pages of this thread. Everyone needs to remember to post the pictures into the threads as half of the links in here are dead now.

Terry

HobieSport

That's a good point about posting pics Terry. Thanks.
By the way, welcome!
So...do you have an AE #2 like the one in your "avatar?". What a beautiful phone. When were they made? Late 20's or early 1930's before the AE 34s?

-Matt
-Matt

AE_Collector

Quote from: HobieSport on January 11, 2011, 06:26:33 PM
That's a good point about posting pics Terry. Thanks.
By the way, welcome!
So...do you have an AE #2 like the one in your "avatar?". What a beautiful phone. When were they made? Late 20's or early 1930's before the AE 34s?

-Matt

Hi Matt:

Thanks for the welcome! I am 7 posts "behind you" (845 / 852). I know that you were AWOL here for awhile...read lots of your posts while trying to catch up on many of the threads. So welcome back! I think that Jorge in the end is responsible for me being here but that is only fair as I am ultimately responsible for him losing at least 24 hours of his life forever while sanding an AE80 phone to find out what color it was supposed to be.

No that isn't my AE #2. I WISH! It is or at least was Ray Kotke's to the best of my knowledge but an original, not a reproduction. I oknow of no colored #2's other than the walnut or mahogany variations which aren't plastic but are bakelite.

You pretty much nailed the dates for the #2. The AE #1 (similar to a WECo "B mount"/102) was introduced in 1926 and then the self contained AE #2 in 1928. While the #1 continued to be manufactured into the 1950's the #2 was discontinued quickly after the AE 34 was introduced in 1934. Then the 34 was discontinued quickly once the 34 was again redesigned into the AE40 in about 1939.

There are matching wall phones for both the 34 and the 40. They are the AE35 and the 50. In both cases the matching wall phone seems to have been introduced around a year or so after the desk phones introduction. I think desk phones were the hot new comodity back than as most people had wall phones of one sort or another.

Terry