News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Any advantages to using a PayPal Plus card?

Started by HobieSport, May 07, 2009, 05:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

I'm just wondering if there are any advantages to using a PayPal Plus card for Ebay purchases.  Normally I try to avoid using a credit card like the plague, but for PayPal/Ebay of course it's usually necessary.  I've been using Discover, because they seem the least greedy when it comes to credit card companies.

Does anyone here have experience with PayPal Plus and are their any advantages that you know of with using it on Ebay over other card companies?

Perry

Lately PayPal keeps asking me to let them take payments directly from my bank account instead of going through a credit card. I guess it makes sense for them, because if you do that, they don't have to give a % to the credit card company. I'm not sure how I feel about giving them direct access to my checking account, though.

HobieSport

Yeah I never give direct access to my bank account to anyone or any company.  If PayPal Plus keeps bothering you with useless promotions or anything else, that actually sort of answers my question and I'll just stick with Discover. One reason I prefer Discover is they don't constantly bug me with "special offers" and sneaky ways of getting more of my hard earned dough, or at least not as much as Visa and Mastercard etc. seem to do.

My only other card is an Amazon/Visa card, only because some companies don't always accept Discover.  The rest of my old cards and accounts went "into the wood chipper" long ago.  I like to keep these things as simple and direct as possible.

One last thing I'm wondering about the PayPal Plus system though is whether or not there might be any need or advantage to having it when I finally do get around to becoming an Ebay seller using PayPal.

BDM

I use a separate bank account that's rarely used. The account is also through a different bank instead of my primary bank. Works for me.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Quote from: BDM
I use a separate bank account that's rarely used. The account is also through a different bank instead of my primary bank. Works for me.

That's a really good idea, Brian.  I'll start a separate account for the phone hobby/business to keep things separate from my personal account and thus easier to keep track of.  I can use my same bank but with another account and still won't give anyone any direct access to it.  The idea of a separate account had slipped my simple mind as I haven't had a business for about ten years. :P

Perry

Quote from: HobieSport on May 08, 2009, 11:57:52 AM
Yeah I never give direct access to my bank account to anyone or any company.  If PayPal Plus keeps bothering you with useless promotions or anything else, that actually sort of answers my question and I'll just stick with Discover. One reason I prefer Discover is they don't constantly bug me with "special offers" and sneaky ways of getting more of my hard earned dough, or at least not as much as Visa and Mastercard etc. seem to do.

Just to clarify: I don't have the PayPal Plus card, but every time I buy something with PayPal lately, I am sent to a page suggesting I should add my checking account as a payment option. I click the "no thanks" button to go to the final transaction page. I also got an email asking me to set up PayPal with my bank account.

BDM

Matt, another benefit is theft. If someone gets hold of that separate account. There isn't much in there to worry about. I keep my primary account private & separate from anything but direct deposit. I allow no automatic payment through my primary account. Helps me keep account of things better. All hobby buying and any other spending is done with my "public" account, as I call it ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I also have a checking account set up for my PayPal account.  I use the account for both buying and selling with PayPal.  When I buy something funds are sucked out of my bank account and I use a credit card for their back-up.  They want to make sure they get their money.  When you have it set up to a credit card and you send funds the person getting the funds takes a larger hit than normal.  I see some of the phone collectors that will accept PayPal as long as it is coming from a bank account or PayPal balance.  If the buyer uses a credit card it costs the seller more.  As it is PayPal skims about 3% off the top.  I guess it's the price for convenience.

But I've never had any problems with my bank account.  Just be extra careful not to fall for a phony e-mail.  Just never log onto PayPal (or eBay--or Anything) directly from your email.  I did once on eBay and got my account hacked into.  But that's another story.