News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Freebie "French" Repro

Started by Ed Morris, November 27, 2017, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Bummer! It would probably be easy to get working. Just add a ringer & network from a 500!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

That's a disappointment.  The trickiest part will be the hook switch.  I might have some of the parts from my phone lying around in the mess in the dungeon.  I can keep an eye out for them.

Larry

Ed Morris

Hook switch might be there; I didn't look that carefully.  I am trying to fix a radio for a client, so I won't be able to work on it for a while.
Ed

twocvbloke

I've always said, "Even if it's free, there's always a price to pay!", shame it's gutted, but as pointed out, with a few salvaged bits & pieces from another phone will bring it back to life, even if it's not original... :)

HarrySmith

I may have some pieces for it also. I will check over the weekend.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

I had forgotten that I bought a Japanese D-08 replica a few years ago from an ebay seller in Chicago for $4 or $5 when I went to his apartment to pick up another phone.  That replica has all Japanese parts, and I used its transmitter in a Japanese #4 phone which had a bad transmitter.  I am attaching a picture of the inside of the all Japanese phone next to the remains of the phone which had WE internal parts.  I can probably spare the WE plate with the hook switch.  It originally had a 4010 network and a small ringer, probably the type that is found in Princesses.

Larry

Ed Morris

Larry, thanks for the images.  My hook switch is definitely missing.  There is nothing left inside the phone except one bracket and the dial mechanism.  My phone is a JN-4, according to the label.  If you think your plate and hookswitch will work, I'd be interested in it.  Just let me know your price.  I should be able to pick up the network and a ringer on eBay.  Below are images of my base and dial.

Ed

Ed Morris

Cleaning day today.  I disassembled the phone and washed all the metal parts and handset cord in Simple Green.  The brass parts I soaked in white vinegar for a couple hours, then cleaned all the old lacquer off with 0000 steel wool.  I will apply clear lacquer to the brass parts before re-assembly.

Larry was kind enough to part with a spare hook switch plate, and I snagged a Princess 702B from the Goodwill online site, which I am still waiting on, but hopefully when it gets here, I will get it all put back together and working.

Ed

TelePlay

That phone will look sharp when built/rebuilt/restored into a working phone - a Back from the Dead nomination (haven't had one of those in a long time).

Take inside and exterior photos when done.

Ed Morris

Hmm...a zombie phone  ::).  Apparently  this phone was an "organ donor" at some point.  Now it's getting new "organs."  The circle of life...
Ed

TelePlay

Quote from: Ed Morris on December 04, 2017, 01:32:56 PM
Hmm...a zombie phone  ::).  Apparently  this phone was an "organ donor" at some point.  Now it's getting new "organs."  The circle of life...

Ed, check out this site to see what others have done to return a phone to the living.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17486.0

Ed Morris

My Princess 702B donor arrived and it looks like I'm going to have to do some modifications to get the ringer and network installed. 

The ringer mounts on the hook switch plate, to the right of the hook switch in the image below, are too far apart for the Princess ringer, and wouldn't match up with the slot for the bell volume slider anyway. It looks like I could remove the two stanchions on the right edge of the place and have room to mount of ringer and align the volume slider with the slot.  Anyone see any reason not to remove those stanchions.  I don't see where the are needed for this phone.

The 4010 network appears to be riveted to the Princess base, so I will have to devise a means of mounting it to the plate on the JN-4 as well, but it looks like there is plenty of room on the left side.

Ed

LarryInMichigan

You will need to drill out the rivets and attach the network to the bracket with small screws.  I don't recall what type of ringer was in the phone when I got it.

Larry

HarrySmith

I do not recall what those were for but they are tapped for a screw so something must have been there. Possibly the dial mount?? I would assemble the base and check before removing them. Of course they may be for something you are no longer using. Glad you found parts as I did not find any in my pile of C.R.A.P.

(Communications Related Accessories & Parts)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ed Morris

Harry, thanks for checking for parts.

The dial mounts to the base and there is a bracket across the center that the cover and handset mount attaches to, so I don't think  they are needed.  But I may just remove the one that is riveted first and see if I can fit the ringer in.  I could always re-attach it if needed.
Ed