News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's so special about these 500's?

Started by Partyline4, January 23, 2018, 09:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I've come across something underwhelming to the medium grade collector such as myself. Makes me wonder, that's for sure!

Just looks like something I could throw together with some purple paint...

- Throws hands in the air -

I don't know!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253309304665

LarryInMichigan

Something is very fishy about that seller.  The same phones appear to have been sold multiple times for obscene BIN prices.  These phone have no special appeal to collectors.

Larry

Partyline4

I didn't think so. Probably trying to make a fake appeal...

Andy

Slal

Well seller did a good job with studio tent & photographing product in diffuse light.

My favorite is ads with blurred photos that look like seller has been drinking, or camera in his phone needs to be serviced.   O_o

"Photos are considered part of listing.  Look at the photos carefully.  As is.  No returns."

And he wonders why his product isn't moving...

----
For conspiracy theorists or really cynical...  Read somewhere that occasional listing will have a photo that doesn't even match the item. (e.g. the ad is for a pair of shoes while the photo (used again and again)  is of a coffee pot copied from Amazon.  Price: $1,200)

Someone buys the 'shoes' and gets a flat screen TV that's probably hotter than Hades.  Credit card thieves need a way to 'fence' things, and not much eBay can do about it.  Presumably if the 'wrong' person buys the item, seller "accidentally loses" it.  Booted off eBay?  Just reincarnates under different name. 

Probably an urban myth, but nowadays-- no telling!

--Bruce

TelePlay

Quote from: Slal on January 25, 2018, 04:40:30 PM
Well seller did a good job with studio tent & photographing product in diffuse light.

My favorite is ads with blurred photos that look like seller has been drinking, or camera in his phone needs to be serviced.   O_o

"Photos are considered part of listing.  Look at the photos carefully.  As is.  No returns."

And he wonders why his product isn't moving...

----
For conspiracy theorists or really cynical...  Read somewhere that occasional listing will have a photo that doesn't even match the item. (e.g. the ad is for a pair of shoes while the photo (used again and again)  is of a coffee pot copied from Amazon.  Price: $1,200)

Someone buys the 'shoes' and gets a flat screen TV that's probably hotter than Hades.  Credit card thieves need a way to 'fence' things, and not much eBay can do about it.  Presumably if the 'wrong' person buys the item, seller "accidentally loses" it.  Booted off eBay?  Just reincarnates under different name. 

Probably an urban myth, but nowadays-- no telling!

--Bruce

Yeah, that pretty much covers it except for that nickle plated candlestick with the green cloth cords that keep showing up (at least twice withing the past few weeks again) that is/was/will be a hijacked listing - eBay is getting good at killing that stick within hours of it being listed.

As for the colored phone seller, all of the images on ebay are 1024 by 768, which I'd say is near minimum for a good picture on eBay, and even eBay warns when an image is "too small" to show well. As for these two other phones from the seller, the pink is good but lack of light on the blue shows a problem with depth of field. Camera focal point opened up in low light causing the handset to blur - camera focused on the nearest point, the front edge. 1024 by 768 is low enough for the "enlarged" eBay image to look fuzzy, seeing the pixels.

Yes, the images are the majority of information within the listing when it comes to presenting an item. The images are the "cake" and the description is just the "icing" which can be thick and good or thin and tasteless.

Now, there are stock photos of books which are used when multiple sellers are all selling the same book as "new." Used books best have their own images, as with all other items sold as used.

And then there are the sellers who I do believe intentionally list junk at big dollar prices to move money or possible contraband, like that empty, generic cardboard box with some debris in the bottom that sold to what a lot of money.

Lot of funny stuff going on with eBay, stuff they can't catch. After being involved with eBay for about 10 years, I've seen a lot but not all and I'm sure some new surprises will be coming to eBay soon.

Partyline4

I believe eBay actually does very little to remove listings, rather concerned users will flag the listing, bringing it to eBay's attention. I know this for certain because I listed a few WWII medals a few weeks ago, and they kept getting flagged by a "competitor" who was trying to run me off of eBay. Finally sold them, though!

You can flag any listing you want, as long as you know you're right about it's problem. eBay takes a while to actually remove it, I've noticed. It has to be reviewed and such.