News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cameo Green Princess Phone

Started by SunriseEarth, May 16, 2019, 02:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

Looks like it's been a good month for my Princess phone collection.   I still have a few colors to add to my collection, but one of them on my list was Cameo Green.   I found a 702BM one a while back, but it slipped through my fingers.   However, I recently found a 2702BM on eBay.  Initially, I was going to pass, as it had a BIN of $79.95.    I figured I'd send the seller a low offer to see if they'd adjust their BIN at some point.   After a bit of back and forth, I wound up getting them to $30 (plus $14.35), which was a better deal than I expected.   This is comparable to what I paid for my Blue Teal Princess ($45 with free S&H).

The phone appears to have originally been made in 1981.  It has the P1A ringer and feels notably lighter than the Princesses with M1A ringer.   The remanufactured sticker is mainly gone, but it appears it was done in 1992.  The receiver elements is from 1977 and the transmitter is from 1976, so they were definitely making good use of whatever parts they had left on the shelf.   The dial light worked, too!

In the first of the pictures, I compared the Cameo Green to my Turquoise and my Aqua Blue Princesses. 
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

jsowers

That's not an easy color to find, and it can be confused with turquoise if you don't have one next to it to see the difference. So thanks for showing all three colors. Cameo Green doesn't have much blue in it.

I'm not sure if they painted some of the Cameo Green phones or not. Yours doesn't look to be painted. They did many things with paint in those days. Also you have to make sure the handset cord is OK because finding a new one in those rarer colors isn't easy at all.

From Paul's site, the group of colors that came out with Cameo Green in the 1980s are...

Late Production (80s)
  -104 Chocolate Brown
  -145 Blue, Teal
  -255 Cameo Green
  -258 Peach
  -293 Slate Blue

Congrats on getting another rare color. Do you have all of the above?
Jonathan

SunriseEarth

Quote from: jsowers on May 16, 2019, 02:14:52 PM
That's not an easy color to find, and it can be confused with turquoise if you don't have one next to it to see the difference. So thanks for showing all three colors. Cameo Green doesn't have much blue in it.

Especially in pictures, the color looks like a turquoise phone with yellowing.   The best way to distinguish would be the handset, as Cameo Green would have an "AT&T" handset.  Of course, there are some Aqua Blue AT&T handsets that yellowed very quickly, so you'd want to make sure you're not getting one of those. 

QuoteI'm not sure if they painted some of the Cameo Green phones or not. Yours doesn't look to be painted.

Mine isn't painted.  The plastics are that color,

Late Production (80s)
  -104 Chocolate Brown
  -145 Blue, Teal
  -255 Cameo Green
  -258 Peach
-293 Slate Blue

Do you have all of the above?

I'm still looking for Brown and Slate Blue, but I have the others.  The Blue, Teal is a CS2702BMG; it's very lightweight (compared to other Princess phones) as it has the P1A ringer and no light.  The Peach is a 2702BMG and has a functional dial light. 
Tony Stokes

poplar1

The CS sets were (IIRC) yellow, white, and dark blue.

The leased R702BMs and R2702BMGs (also later offered for sale in AT&T stores) as of 1990 were white, ivory, cameo green, peach, and slate blue.

The Signature Princess (2703BMG) kept white, ivory, and peach. Cameo green and slate blue were not offered. Rather, Pink (-59) and aqua blue (-62) --2 of the original 1959 colors for Princess sets -- were reintroduced. The Signature series sets were never sold by  AT&T -- for lease only.

Of the thousands of Princess sets ACI bought from the AT&T Service Center, I never saw a Brown one.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

SunriseEarth

Quote from: poplar1 on May 16, 2019, 09:08:26 PM
Of the thousands of Princess sets ACI bought from the AT&T Service Center, I never saw a Brown one.

Sounds like it's the Sasquatch of Princess Phones. 
Tony Stokes

compubit

I have a brown one, but it is painted.  I haven't seen a full plastic brown over the years i've Been collecting.

Cameo green was tough to find. I also have a burgundy (again painted), but it's a Polane-based paint job... (not a rattle can hunter green like a created in the mid 80s... - and is no longer with us...).

Also keep your eyes out for an ITT Seafoam Green - not Bell, but yet another color!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

SunriseEarth

Quote from: compubit on May 16, 2019, 11:56:17 PM
I also have a burgundy (again painted), but it's a Polane-based paint job... (not a rattle can hunter green like a created in the mid 80s... - and is no longer with us...).

Also keep your eyes out for an ITT Seafoam Green - not Bell, but yet another color!

Jim, is the burgundy one different from the Teaberry color?  I believe Richard Rose sells a teaberry painted Princess on his site (and on eBay).   It's a pretty color, and it's a shame they didn't actually make one in that color.

I definitely am on the lookout for a good Seafoam Green Cinderella.   I saw one recently with the ringer box attached, but the phone itself didn't seem to be in very good condition. 

Tony Stokes

compubit

It is a different color.  I'll get a picture and willl post it later.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!