"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Back from The Flea market - FTR 702-A/TP-6

Started by LarryInMichigan, January 16, 2011, 11:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Robby,

Thank you for the info.  I feel much better now knowing that my phone has been fungus-proofed ;)  I never would have guessed that that was the meaning.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

"L.S.D." apparently stood for Lexington Signal Depot in Lexington, KY.  Now I know that my phone has been to Kentucky.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Larry, that is a very nice acquisition for your collection.  I'm glad that you took the time to clean around those insignias.  It's very interesting and historical.  Nice phone, nice job!

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 17, 2011, 09:55:26 AM
Here is the phone again, cleaned and polished a bit.

Larry
OUTSTANDING!!! It is a beauty, really nice job...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Thank you, Doug.  It's amazing what a bit of wiping can do.

I just found this: http://k6ix.net/J-37/TG5B.html.  It's about a telegraph set, and the pictures show a Signal Corps acceptance stamp and an M.F.P stamp.

Larry

GG

Dials for those:  FTR made their own, often found as Standard Electric or similar on various European phones, and phones in Spanish-speaking parts of South and Central America.  The key dimensions are the diameter of the dial, and the location and length of the mounting screws.  May also be compatible with dials from Elektrisk Bureau phones (Norway).  If you use one of these dials, take it to a hardware store to find the correct metric screw threads, and take along measurements of the depth of the mountings (heck, bring the whole phone, that'll be good for some interesting conversations in the hardware store!) to be sure you get screws that are long enough, plus washers and spacers.  When initially mounting the dial be careful that the screws aren't so long that they go in far enough to damage the number plate.  Also be careful to not break the mounting tabs in the phone housing.  (Or you can put a touchtone dial in a plastic mounting box and wire it up as an outboard device, which isn't cheating or anything.   Instructions are widely available online for this.) 

Re. that sticker:  LSD is also the name of a drug that was widely used in psychiatric research in the 1950s and early 60s, was abused as a street drug in the mid 60s through the 70s, and has lately been getting more attention by researchers in cognitive science and psychiatry.  Early research on LSD was instrumental in determining the relationship between neurotransmitters in the brain, and cognitive functioning, leading indirectly to discoveries such as the SSRIs (Prozac etc.) that are now used to treat depression. 

LarryInMichigan

LSD also stood for "Lexington Signal Depot".

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

11furby11

Larry,
That's a beautiful find!!  I can't wait for our flea market to open in May!!