"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to the Forum: Leich 62?

Started by sheichelbech, July 19, 2023, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheichelbech

Hello all,

Greetings, all! It's great to join the forum--what a wealth of information!

I'm based in Chicago, and recently picked up the phone you see below from Facebook Marketplace. I think it's a Leich 62, but as you can tell from the attached photos, it was rewired to to include a mini network. I can't find Leich printed anywhere, just the Chicago Moulded Products logo and the Automatic Electric Logo on the back of the dial. Did AE produce dials for Leich, or has the original since been replaced? The bottom plate looks to be a replacement, and the refurb tech added rubber feet to the plate, rather than the original suede. The handset is spit cup-style, but it does not have a logo or brand printed anywhere on it. Is this something I should expect?

I assume this is just a modified Leich, not a reproduction--has anyone heard of repros of this phone being made, other than the Crosley push-button homage? Would like to make sure I was not fooled!

Lastly, does anyone know the production years for the 62? Looks like it was featured in the 1938 catalog, but I can't seem to find firm dates.

I plan to rub some Brasso on the Bakelite with some shoe polish after to shine it up.

Thank you all for any information!

-Sam

HowardPgh

Welcome to the CRPF. Best information for phones on the planet.
I don't know the dates of manufacture. Automatic Electric provided dials for many companies, I don't think there was an original Leich dial. Most phones you find will have an Automatic Electric dial except for Western Electric and there are some exceptions there. The rubber feet on the base is to accommodate the the screws holding the network to the base. Judging from the pictures the modification looks like a good job. Most people don't bother to put the network in and try to "hotwire" the phone to work. Originally the network was in a ringer box that was  mounted to the wall. A lot of those Leichs were provided with a metal dial blank.
Howard

RDPipes

Hello and welcome! It is a Leich 62, this model didn't have internal ringers. To take it back to original You'll need a #18 induction and the 1mfd condenser (capacitor). Best of luck, you may find what you need on eBay or one of our members. Sadly all I have is a empty shell left for parts to them but, I do have a original base plate if you need it, lets see what yours looks like. It may have had feet put on it when felt was original to it.

sheichelbech

Thank you both for your replies! I know it's not original, but I'll be happy to take the modification if it will work with the Bluetooth adapter I have coming this Friday. I've also attached a picture of the baseplate, which almost seems like new. You can see the refurb date on the torn label.

Followup question--I rubbed Brasso on it with 0000 steel wool, including the handset. I think both the base and handset are Bakelite, but I'm not sure. In any case, doing so appears to have made the pitting or pores on the handset worse (see pictures). Having realized that some bakelite used asbestos filling, is there any way to tell if the surface artifacts I can see exposed are asbestos or wood? It seems like the general consensus is that it is unlikely that bakelite phones contained asbestos, but it got my attention! I'm worries about this issue, so any information you may have would be great! I'm planning to coat it next with Kiwi shoe polish, after I grab some from Walgreens.

Thank you again!

RDPipes

I wouldn't worry about asbestos in the Bakelite, I've been sanding and buffing this stuff for years and I aint dead yet. The best way to get the Bakelite looking good again it to wet sand it starting with 400 grit and then go through the grits 600, 1000, and finally 2000 then buff on a good buffer with Tripoli to a shine. And yes, both are Bakelite

That base looks like someone used the wrong screws and had to put feet on it so it would sit proper.
Both of mine and the ones I've sold ALL had felt covered bases.

rdelius

Phoneco refurb .Note the plastic fingerwheel painted black on a newer AE dial .These sets are very fragile so be carefull.

RDPipes

Good catch, didn't even notice that right away.

countryman

I also would not worry too much about (firmly embedded) asbestos as a filling material - I don't even think it was used in telephones on any broad basis.
Wood flour or sawdust was the normal filling material and sure enough the light colored spots look like just that. As it is a natural product, quality may have varied. Some handsets keep shiny "forever", others get dull once the thin glossy layer from the molding process is worn through - typically on the handle, like on your handset. From my experience, a good black shoe polish is in fact your best bet then.  Apply repeatedly. *) You can try polishing with a buffing wheel as a first step, but once the filler shows through you won't be able to make it disappear by removing more material.
I'd also suggest to leave the modification as is. Th AE dial is a very good design and should work just fine with a pulse capable system or a converter.

*) Edit: Lately I have tried a product that is supposed to freshen up faded black plastic on motor vehicles (SONAX Kunststoff Neu, similar products will be available). First results were promising but I don't give a general recommendation yet.

tubaman

Quote from: countryman on July 20, 2023, 07:48:11 AM... From my experience, a good black shoe polish is in fact your best bet then.  Apply repeatedly. ..

I'll second black shoe polish - works very nicely.

FABphones

I also have black car polish in my drawers of product.

Shoe polish can work nicely, but in my experience be prepared to put a good tv programme on and do it whilst watching that.
 ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Although I've never used shoe polish I can't stop thinking it may wear off on ones hands but, anyway to each his own. I've NEVER had a Bakelite piece no matter what it was go dull after I polished it (and I've had some for several years) the way I prescribed and I've been working with Bakelite for well over 25 years. Having a good buffer and the proper rouge and patience is the key. Enough said. :)

countryman

The shoe polish will wear off when just applied, but like in its original use it will become more resistant when dried up & buffed. But -also as in its original use- the color enhancing and glossy effect will fade with time, probably through the evaporation of solvents. Multiple application will result in a thicker coating of pigments and wax-like ingredients.
Agreed that it is a makeshift remedy.
I had good luck polishing a British GPO 164 handset with a buffing wheel and rouge, but e.g. failed to bring a Swedish Televerket handset back to shine. The latter had issues with filling material showing through, very similar to the original poster's one.

RDPipes

Quote from: countryman on July 20, 2023, 04:35:37 PMThe shoe polish will wear off when just applied, but like in its original use it will become more resistant when dried up & buffed. But -also as in its original use- the color enhancing and glossy effect will fade with time, probably through the evaporation of solvents. Multiple application will result in a thicker coating of pigments and wax-like ingredients.
Agreed that it is a makeshift remedy.
I had good luck polishing a British GPO 164 handset with a buffing wheel and rouge, but e.g. failed to bring a Swedish Televerket handset back to shine. The latter had issues with filling material showing through, very similar to the original poster's one.

Yes, some of the low grade Bakelite will do that and if its been subjected to a lot of moisture over time it will also oxidize like Ebonite does but, the higher quality Bakelite and Ebonite takes quite a while to dull or discolor from use. Some of the Japanese made Ebonites were just horrible even right after manufacturing with green tints and chucks of metal even.
So I can see where using shoe polish and even leather dye along with shoe polish can help to enhance the old cheaper quality Bakelite.

LarryInMichigan

I had once contemplated using black fabric dye to dye bakelite like this, but I never got around to trying it. 

A mineral oil treatment will probably leave the bakelite looking darker.

Larry

RDPipes

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 21, 2023, 09:06:24 AMI had once contemplated using black fabric dye to dye bakelite like this, but I never got around to trying it. 

A mineral oil treatment will probably leave the bakelite looking darker.

Larry
Fabric dye is water base I believe were leather dye is alcohol base and oil based, depending on what you purchase.
From my experience I believe it'll soak in better then the thin water base fabric dye but, again I haven't tried it on a handset.