"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Opinion on eBay Bidding

Started by Doug Rose, August 14, 2016, 07:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Ryan on August 14, 2016, 08:00:02 PM
I assume you only buy stuff from your own time zone.

Jack
Jack....no...but if it is after my bedtime, I just bid what I want to pay. At my stage of collecting, I have the phones that I can afford that I want.  I sell much more than I buy, nice second job on my terms. If it falls at what I bid...that's nice. If not tomorrow's another day at the wolds largest antique store...Doug
Kidphone

JimHyak

I never meant to sound as if I "look down" on using a sniper program, like I said I like the thrill of pushing the button. If I was smarter or kept missing the snipe due to internet connection problems, I would give up the thrill in favor of the win. Today I was planning a last minute bid on Doug's 500u, but got distracted and missed it. Things like that help me keep a few coins in the bank, I guess ;)
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 14, 2016, 12:02:48 PM
At one point in time, we had an agreement NOT to post auctions we see, because MAYBE someone else is flying under the radar.
I would like to see that started up again.

Ditto that, but even w/o the forum agreement, I do it anyway.  I never post links to auctions in progress, whether they're on ebay or somewhere else.  If I have a question about the item, I will capture a picture and post it w/o giving any info about where I saw it.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on August 14, 2016, 12:02:48 PM
Another Pet Peeve is Mr. Helpful, don't contact sellers and point out errors in the listing.  For example, ":You do know that phone is worth much more than you are asking".
It's up to the seller to do His/Her homework. That is how WE as collectors get deals.
JMHO.D/P

Mr. Helpful is a nuisance, for sure, and not just on ebay.  A few years ago I went to buy a scratched-up black 302 for parts that I saw on Craigslist, and the seller tried to up his price because a MS. Helpful contacted him and tried to say it was worth far more than it really was.  I matter-of-factly told the seller she was ill-informed and didn't know what she was talking about.  I got it for the original price.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Brinybay on August 14, 2016, 09:36:13 PM
Ditto that, but even w/o the forum agreement, I do it anyway.  I never post links to auctions in progress, whether they're on ebay or somewhere else.  If I have a question about the item, I will capture a picture and post it w/o giving any info about where I saw it.

Mr. Helpful is a nuisance, for sure, and not just on ebay.  A few years ago I went to buy a scratched-up black 302 for parts that I saw on Craigslist, and the seller tried to up his price because a MS. Helpful contacted him and tried to say it was worth far more than it really was.  I matter-of-factly told the seller she was ill-informed and didn't know what they were talking about.  I got it for the original price.

I agree on both issues - except occasionally when I see a misrepresentation that might not be obvious to some.

Jack

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 14, 2016, 07:35:32 AM
If you see a phone you like on eBay, bid on it. Bid the amount you feel it is worth....or you are prepared to pay. Be prepared to be out bid, its the nature of the beast. Just because you bid on it first, doesn't mean you saw it first. Not every member knows all the other members eBay bidding codes....or cares to know. I know a few of the high rollers, like the Museum etc.  Others...sorry I don't. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night...I digress  8)...Ah yes...It was steak and swordfish on the grille made by my brother in law. Outstanding!

If I outbid you, I am sorry......in my opinion you did not bid enough. Conversely I was outbid. I did not bid enough, that's how it works. Life in the fast lane, on to the next auction. I will live to bid another day. Best thing about eBay is there is another phone right around the corner.

All is fair in Love and eBay. ...Doug

Doug, I'm in agreement with you  Did somebody get po'd because you outbid them?  If so, they are childish.  I'm another one who couldn't care less about other collector's handles.  All's fair in the bidding and it's nothing personal. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

19and41

I use a sniping service on occasion.  Myibidder crashed and burned on me and I had to remove it.  The one I am using now is pretty good.  They also help me to stay within my set limit and not get caught up in the last minute rush.  Back when Ebay would put up a set user ID i would get frustrated by specific bidders.  Anymore, they are Unidentified to me even between auctions.  It is of no value to get honked by a competitor in an auction.  They have the same right as you to participate.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on August 14, 2016, 09:54:24 PM
Doug, I'm in agreement with you  Did somebody get po'd because you outbid them?  If so, they are childish.  I'm another one who couldn't care less about other collector's handles.  All's fair in the bidding and it's nothing personal. 
yup ..no big deal...just caught me by surprise. In Hyannis on vacation so nothing bothers me. Tremendous day at the beach...Kidtanned
Kidphone

oldguy

Does anybody know what happens if Jack, Tom & I have the same sniping program & are bidding on the same phone with the same high bid, who wins? I don't use a sniping program yet but am considering it, because i have missed some good deals lately, just because I got distracted & missed the end of the auction. i'll be the 1st bidder or I don't bid until the end, so I don't bid up the price.
Gary

TelePlay

Quote from: oldguy on August 18, 2016, 06:37:13 PM
Does anybody know what happens if Jack, Tom & I have the same sniping program & are bidding on the same phone with the same high bid, who wins? I don't use a sniping program yet but am considering it, because i have missed some good deals lately, just because I got distracted & missed the end of the auction. i'll be the 1st bidder or I don't bid until the end, so I don't bid up the price.

eBay states that if identical bids are placed, the first bid placed is the winner. So, if 3 bids of the same amount come in at the exact same time, I don't know. However, auto bidders are subject to ISP access and delivery and I suspect eBay looks at time bid in less than 1 second intervals -10th, hundreths or maybe thousandths to break such ties.

Anyone know for sure?

Doug Rose

Funny story is a I got this Strange stick on eBay because I was outbid. I was watching a 653 wall phone that had been done over by WE and had a F1 handset and a cover where the MP was. It was in excellent condition. I was outbid at the very end, a tad pissed but that's life.

eBay sent a message that this was ending soon....yeah in two minutes, so I bid and won. I think me being outbid was a good thing...really ....as I love this stick and never would have bid on it if I had won the other. Synchronicity ....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16583.0
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

My point being.
If you want a phone, Bid on It. If you don't want the phone, what do you get from posting on here, "Hey ! Guys look at this". ? I won the 48-500 for $220.00. Because, only a couple of us noticed something different about it. If we had posted the auction, that phone would have gone for, Who knows how much ? I look at like this, If someone has no clue what they are selling, obviously it means nothing to them. Why penalize those that do, by pointing out what it's value is, or errors in their listing. The seller has every option to do their own homework. If they want to sell something, eBay even offers, a "What is my item worth" App. I'm on a fixed income, a single Dad, I need every break I can get.
BTW, I didn't hear anyone, say anything, when I got burned a few years ago for $900.00, on a Peking Red 302. It's minty, but I took it in the shorts. The 48-500 just balanced the scales.
Please, if you are not interested in an item, keep quiet, or PM those you think may be interested. Speculating buyers, probably visit here to get tips on Great deals, or sleeper auctions. Phones going to High Dollar Japanese collectors, you can bet those phones will never see the light of day again. When I won the 48-500, we spent weeks discussing it, and now have hundreds of photo to compare it to other 500's, when the 49-500 went to a Japanese speculator a couple months back, it through a Canadian broker, we didn't even get a photo of it.
We have all the time The Lord allows us to talk about a phone we see, but aren't interested in buying, don't spoil it for the one that spends hours looking for deals. I used to deliberately search with misspelled words, to catch auction no one else might see. Now eBay auto corrects for you. If you need adviuce, PM, any number of people here for advice.

Rant over, carry on.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

ESalter

The same thing happened to me several years ago, Doug.  I was watching a 36" Bell System building sign.  It was cast aluminum, had the old bell with the BELL SYSTEM lettering in the middle and it had the ring.  I was prepared to bid over $200 for it.  I waited until the last couple seconds like usual and...  my internet connection was frozen.  By the time it recovered, I had lost the sign and it only sold for barely over $100.  I still haven't seen one since that has the ring and the seller doesn't think its made of gold.  I keep telling myself that the high bidder probably bid $1000 on it(so I can sleep at night!).  Anyway, right as the auction for the sign had ended, Ebay gave me several links I might be interested in...  one of which was this just listed Bell System flag with a BIN of $30.  I never would have found it had Ebay not dropped it in my lap.  ...I'm still ticked about missing the sign though!  :)

---Eric

Doug Rose

Eric....welcome back. Don't be a stranger. Great story. Great flag!!....Doug
Kidphone

ESalter

Thanks Doug!  I'll to my best to stick around.  I've always enjoyed the information and company on this forum.

I'm happy with the flag.  I've seen several older flags with the old logo in white on a blue flag, and generally they're pretty big.  Lots of 5x8s and I even saw one that was 7x10 or something along those lines.  Someday I'll pick up one of those as well, probably.  I'm working on fixing up the upstairs of our building to add to our display space.  Its about 20x40, wide open, and has 11' high ceilings with open rafters.  Perfect for displaying large stuff like that.  Anyway, I'm sorry I kindof hijacked this thread - now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

---Eric