News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Galion dial wont turn at all

Started by Karen, March 04, 2012, 04:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I know its kind of far fetched to ask about the dial with only pics, but I really dont know a single thing about the dial.  Its only turning about halfway between one number to the next.

Is anything jumping out at you thats missing or messed up here?  Where should I start with this?

Doug Rose

Try lightly oiling the points by the gears. Lightly! Myself, I like Marvel Mystery oil. Start moving the dial and let the oil work its way in....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I don't believe that I have seen a dial like this before.  It is obviously designed for some special purpose.  What is it?

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 04, 2012, 08:32:12 AM
Try lightly oiling the points by the gears. Lightly! Myself, I like Marvel Mystery oil. Start moving the dial and let the oil work its way in....good luck...Doug
Don't let any oil get in the governor... Round brass casing on the right in photos.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bill

Since you, like me, don't know much about dials, the best solution is to send it off to Steve Hilz at NavySalvage.com in Arizona. For $6 (plus shipping both ways), he will make it like new. The very last Forum on this board is called Vendor Experiences. Read about Steve there.

Bill

rdelius

AE type 51 SATT dial.Used on party lines.Ignore the extra contacts.It must be stuck with the impulse contacts open
Robby

Karen

Quote from: rdelius on March 04, 2012, 03:37:45 PM
AE type 51 SATT dial.Used on party lines.Ignore the extra contacts.It must be stuck with the impulse contacts open
Robby

It definitely feel stuck, and not just sluggish and in need of lubrication.  Its like its hitting something, or something is blocking it.  Whats the impulse contact? Is there a diagram or something?

AE_Collector

I'm wondering if someone has monkeyed with the set screws on the SATT plate (round disc over the dial spring) and maybe that is preventing it from being turned.

Terry

JorgeAmely

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 04, 2012, 09:41:52 AM
I don't believe that I have seen a dial like this before.  It is obviously designed for some special purpose.  What is it?

Larry

SATT = Strowger Automatic Toll Ticketing

It is a method employed in the old days by which a phone equipped with this dial could identify itself among others in a party line and thus allow the central office and the owners to charge you for the time using the line in the case for example of a long distance call. In the case of the AE company, they used to make a SATT-A and a SATT-B dial. I have attached a couple of pictures. WE systems had an operator in the loop to identify customers (early days) or used different ringer wiring schemes to more or less do the same thing. In addition to the on-off-on, etc switching action per digit dialed, the dial also sent a code from 1 to 10 I believe, to identify the line user.

This dial seems to have been made by another company to perhaps accomplish the same function. Our friend from Arizona should bring it back to life in no time at all.

Jorge

southernphoneman

dials for some reason are a nightmare.when in doubt of being able to repair then don t . send away to steve hilz.i have only been successful with one.i had to tighten the recoil and lube the dial on one of my 500s and it still works, but those dials are tempermental and not easy.

stub

Karen,
            Send it to STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield