News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I remove the dial from a Northern Electric 302?

Started by RDR89, October 02, 2014, 09:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
Perhaps worth mentioning that the 59A dial adapter (gasket) was originally designed for use with metal housings, even though they were retained for the plastic housings. Also, the transition from phenol pulse pawls to metal on 5H dials in II 38, and from 5Hs  to 6As and 7As, did not result in quieter dials.

I think the reason they did away with the phenol pawls probably had something to do with rapid wear of the pawls, perhaps even cracks forming in the thin plastic.  Certainly replacing them with metal did not help the noise situation.

You don't think a No. 6 dial is quieter than a No. 5?  I think it is just slightly, probably due to the plastic shield over the mechanism.

Doug Rose

I hope you got the dial out. Not hard at all. I have never damaged a dial tapping it with a screwdriver.

Never launched it across the living room.... from the basement.... then again I am not Mike Tyson.

Cooking a phone without basting is a must  8)

Putting a filthy 60 year old phone in the oven. Just what you need to get those old germs a new lease on life.

Honey ...is the phone done!!!  :-\

Kidshecky
Kidphone

RDR89

I got it out just took some pressing on the dial on four points alternating.  It was the gasket as Bill said I believe.  More pressing is how to clean the components to reduce the smell from the inside of the phone.
  The brass square surrounding the magnets on the ringer, I have seen in pictures on this site how clean and new looking some people have been able to get theirs.   How did they do it?