"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Induction Coil Identification

Started by RB, March 08, 2018, 02:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Saw this on ebay.
can anyone tell me what the specs are for #43 and a #44 induction coils?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Phone-Parts/273096243070?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Ktownphoneco

Theses induction coils are used in railway applications.     Induction Coil #43 - Windings (1 & 2) = 0.6 ohms,  / (3 & 4) = 18.1 ohms,  /  (4 & 5) = 900.0  ohms.     Used in the transmitter circuit of subset 502A.                                                                Induction Coil #44  - Windings (1 & 2) = 5.5 ohms.   /  (3 & 4) = 26.0 ohms.      Used in the receiver circuit of subset 502A.

Jeff Lamb

RB

Jeff
Thank you for the info!
is there a list of ind coils somewhere that runs through how ever many were made, and with the specs?
I see soooooo many different ones, and havin a hard time keepin them separate lol

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

eBay auction and images in this reply for posterity, so what is being discussed in this topic can be seen in the future:

Ktownphoneco

I'm not aware of any document that lists "ALL" of the induction coils produced by Western Electric over the years.   In a general sense, Bell System documents and railway communications equipment were separate entities within the telecommunications field.    Western Electric printed separate catalogs for both systems.      I looked at the eBay listing link you included in your first post, and recognized the equipment as probably belonging to a railway communications system, and looked it up in one of my W.E. Railway catalog.  The TCI Library does have documents and information on railway communications systems, and if you go to the web site's search page and select Google Search, you should be able to come up with the information your looking for.     You may have to look through several pages of returns from the search, but generally speaking, the library contains a wealth of information.    The more specific your search is, the better the results.

Jeff

RB