News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Stray" DSL???

Started by Babybearjs, May 16, 2014, 11:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well this is interesting... Today I was troubleshooting my phone lines and had "parked" my second and third lines (they were disconnected for the KTS and stored on a terminal strip, unused...) anyway, I reconnected the lines to my system and discovered a DSL signal on line 2. at first I thought it was a short in the system, and finally traced it back to the demarcation point... , yes... there is a signal on line 2.... its suppose to be dead.... Hmmmm. I had called centurylink earlier in the day and placed a order for a second line... just a POTS service, nothing fancy.... so I called C/S and told them about it... they just said not to worry, it will get changed when the service is activated.... OK, no biggie. so tonight I did something to test the line.... I unplugged my modems phone cord, and plugged the second line into the modem..... the DSL light Flashed... Stayed steady for and moment and then reset... no Internet, but yes, there was a dsl signal on the line... now.... who's signal was it?? since My modem was setup for my number, it probably wouldn't connect, but I tried it anyway.... now, come the big question.... have any of you ever seen this scenario before?? this is a first for me! at least I know the line works!!!   
John

Owain

twocvbloke

After reading that, it makes me wonder if our line had been pinched a couple of times when it went dead...

Babybearjs

problem solved, I think.... I just had my power plant bite the dust! will know more one I get the system back up and running.
John