News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Telephone Doorknob

Started by ....., August 27, 2018, 09:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been after this for a while now, so I finally bit the bullet and bought it. It arrived this morning. This Bell doorknob is solid brass. It will fit right into my collection nicely.

RB

That's nice!
You gonna use it on your front door?

oldguy

Or the door to your phone room.
Gary

Quote from: RB on August 27, 2018, 10:00:00 AM
That's nice!
You gonna use it on your front door?

Quote from: oldguy on August 27, 2018, 10:47:31 AM
Or the door to your phone room.

In the display cabinet for now. :)

I cleaned up the doorknob and did a mockup of how I would like to display it. I used a very small pick to get into the crevices to get the crud out and then used warm water and a tooth brush for the final clean. Look at the relief in the letters after the clean. Everything just pops.

RotarDad

Very nice piece, Doug!  Perhaps it's been discussed and I don't remember, but where was this used?  Looks like an expensive piece used somewhere important.
Paul

Quote from: RotarDad on August 28, 2018, 10:10:35 PM
Very nice piece, Doug!  Perhaps it's been discussed and I don't remember, but where was this used?  Looks like an expensive piece used somewhere important.

Thanks Paul,

I can't answer that question, The guy I got it from had no history. It was just flip for him.
It is heavy weights 14 ounces, in Gold prices @ $1200.00 an ounce it would be worth $16,800.00 in USD.
That would be $21690.00 CDN :)

Ktownphoneco

It's certainly an amazing piece of Bell Telephone history.       Nice find Doug, and good job cleaning it !   

Jeff

Jim Stettler

I have heard that Bell doorknobs were used in older exchanges.
I have heard there is a lot of different ones used.
I have seen 1 with an early Bell logo, It was at a show and wasn't for sale. The owner was the one who told me the above statements.

I have seen 1 offered on ebay within the last 2 years. I think it was different than this one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think most of the remaining knobs are in the hands off doorknob collectors

Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

I took Jim S. hint and checked with doorknob collectors group.
They passed on some information.

There was a knob made for a Bell Building build in Montreal in 1929 it is different from mine.
The thought was that mine is possibly from a Bell building build in Toronto in 1926.

1-2  Montreal 1929
3-4  Mine possibly Toronto 1926
5  US Bell System

Jim Stettler

Glad you found some info.
The other doorknob reminds me of the one I saw.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.