News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won this Light Blue (-62) 554

Started by foots, May 13, 2009, 04:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I wanted a phone to try some out some different polishes on so I grabbed this for $9.99 plus $9.89 for shipping. It sure is nice when Mr. Helpful isn't around.  I'll be able to share the results of my experimentation with all yall. Anyhow, here she be
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan

This needs to be entered in the blue vs turquoise thread we had a while back. Please check on the  back of the dial and see if it says 62 (light blue) or 64 turquoise. I am curious.....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

I think the color is bluquoise.   ;)

bingster

I'm gonna say aqua just to be difficult. :P
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

I'm guessing it's aqua also, but those two photos of Foot's 554 seem good examples of how confusing colors can be in Ebay photos, one photo using a flash and one using ambient light.  Whatever the case it's a fine looking phone, Foots.

I just bought my very first color phone a few days ago, also an aqua or turquoise or maybe sparrow poop blue.  It's faded and it hasn't been delivered here yet but here are the Ebay photos.  It's a March 1960 base but could be a bit of a frankenphone.

foots

The pics I posted are ebay pics also. I'm still waiting for it to arrive - hopefully in 1 piece. As soon as it gets here Dan, I'll be sure to post color code.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dan

Thanks, Hobie, if it is 1960, odds are it is Aqua Blue, since turquoise wasn't available until 1964.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Thanks Dan. Goodies.  Aqua is definitely one of my favorite early WE colors, along with Black, Gray, and the much coveted Mediterranean Blue.

Dan

The dial plate is the true color, the housing has yellowed, causing the turquoise confusion

AET

Very Nice 554!  Love the color, whatever it is.....
- Tom

McHeath

I recall that 500 Hobiesport, saw it on e-bay some time ago.  Remember it by the mangled cord, I figured that it could be replaced and that the phone looked okay otherwise.

I think you will enjoy this foray into color.

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
I recall that 500 Hobiesport, saw it on e-bay some time ago.  Remember it by the mangled cord, I figured that it could be replaced and that the phone looked okay otherwise.

I think you will enjoy this foray into color.

Thanks Heath.  Yes, I will need an aqua cord and hope it's not too hard or expensive to find.  The yellowing on the phone doesn't really bother me, at least in the photos. It sort of gives a two-tone look with the brighter dial ring.

Here's two more colored phones that are in the mail to me now.  My first Trimline, again in aqua (I think) and what appears to me to maybe be a Rose Beige 500, though I'm not really sure...it might be a light beige, a color I don't really like, but they were cheap.  I don't know what years they are.

AET

Very nice Matt!  I am kinda a softie for that Rose-Beige myself.  I got mine (1959) and it was a very familiar color, I think that's what colors ours was in the living room when I was very little!
- Tom

HobieSport

Yeah I've never seen a Rose Beige yet in person, as everyone I knew as a kid had a black 500 or 554, but if that is indeed what this phone is, I might like it as an alternative to the extremely striking pink, which I also like, but don't know if I could live with it daily.

Dan

I thought rose beige phones had white numbers and letters, while the next generation, light beige started in 1958 or so. here's what I mean.

< 

rose beige 1954-1957 rare

>

light beige or simply beige 1958 onward