News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who caught this soft beige 500?

Started by ESalter, February 21, 2014, 08:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESalter

Just curious if anyone on here got it.  I just saw the auction and tried to get it but was literally 15 seconds too late.  Not kidding, it ended 15 seconds before I got the "this listing has ended" page.

www.ebay.com/itm/221379080357

---Eric

Seller Description: "WESTERN ELECTRIC TELEPHONE DIAL/ROTARY STYLE THE INCOMING/OUT GOING CORD HAS BEEN UPDATED TO THE NEW PINCH PLUG IN FLAT CORD THE HEAD STE CORD IS THAT OF THE 50's ROUND AND HEAVY DUTY THE TOP HAS THE FIRE AND POLICE TAG ON THE TOP UNDER THE HEAD SET IT HAS BEEN TESTED  "IT WORKS"  THE CODING ON THE BOTTOM IS C/D 500 2/55" and it sold for $23.50 plus $10.55 shipping.

WEBellSystemChristian

Dang, that is one beautiful phone. I'm always patrolling eBay for phones like this, but they always fly under my radar.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

baldopeacock

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 22, 2014, 11:31:16 AM
Dang, that is one beautiful phone. I'm always patrolling eBay for phones like this, but they always fly under my radar.

Says the guy who spotted the Mediterranean Blue 500 under a coat of aqua paint.   :)

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: baldopeacock on February 22, 2014, 11:51:23 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 22, 2014, 11:31:16 AM

Says the guy who spotted the Mediterranean Blue 500 under a coat of aqua paint.   :)

Hmm, you have a point there, actually, a very good one ;).
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

Unless the lighting is off (or my glasses are dirty) it looks like Rose Beige! Even a better buy if it is ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

It definitely looks like Rose Beige to me. (Comparing it to my R.B.)

Ben

poplar1

Rose beige (Color code -55) has White letters and numbers on dial. (1954-1957)

Light beige (color code -60) has black letters and numbers on dial. (1957 up)

Other clues on this set: neutral handset cord and 1955 date. Also no sign of being refurbed  (such as newer cords, black touch-up paint on the base, refurb date stamps).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gilas

For sure Rose Beige with straight gray cord. Amazing catch for someone. Hopefully a member caught this one.

WesternElectricBen

I've honestly never noticed they used different colors, on the dial plates.

Thanks for telling us, that is some very important information.

Ben

Mr. Bones

Quote from: david@london on February 23, 2014, 11:35:11 AM
the aqua 500 is one of my absolute favourite phones.
Mine, too. I 'think' I've finally procured a nice finger wheel for mine. Great to hear from you, me chum!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

tptech302

That would be me! I just happened to see it and pounced on it. I almost pasted it by.

Quote from: ESalter on February 21, 2014, 08:47:21 PM
Just curious if anyone on here got it.  I just saw the auction and tried to get it but was literally 15 seconds too late.  Not kidding, it ended 15 seconds before I got the "this listing has ended" page.

www.ebay.com/itm/221379080357

baldopeacock

Quote from: tptech302 on February 24, 2014, 12:11:27 AM
That would be me! I just happened to see it and pounced on it. I almost pasted it by.

Wonder if the seller still has the original line cord?   Sounds like he "improved" it with that silver satin modular cord.

tptech302

Yes the line cord almost made me skip right over it until I took a closer look at the pictures. To have the origional line cord would be nice, but so far this will be my 3rd "rare" phone that didn't have the line cord... my mahogany brown and Kellogg soft turquoise had the line cords cut on them.

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice catch! That straight grey handset cord will make any 500 fan jealous :D.
Christian Petterson

tptech302

Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow have the neighbor watching for the postman