News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Better late than never, I guess . . . (workshop fire supression devices)

Started by TelePlay, October 19, 2017, 05:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

And here I was thinking I did right by myself for buying a Kidda product and not one of the cheap-ie generic brand ones....
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 04, 2017, 09:37:00 PM
And here I was thinking I did right by myself for buying a Kidda product and not one of the cheap-ie generic brand ones....

Kidde has a majority share of the market and they sell their stuff to a lot of different stores with the store brand. I'm glad I went with the more expensive Pro model - they are not part of the recall in that they always had metal handles.

If they are recalling 40 million units covering 40 years, they could go bankrupt, as Takata did in the automotive area.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on November 04, 2017, 09:48:57 PM
Kidde has a majority share of the market and they sell their stuff to a lot of different stores with the store brand. I'm glad I went with the more expensive Pro model - they are not part of the recall in that they always had metal handles.

If they are recalling 40 million units covering 40 years, they could go bankrupt, as Takata did in the automotive area.

Sort of amazing that it took 40 years for the issue to be addressed. That extra 5 hours on the R&D end would have saved them. Where I used to work, there was a Chief Choker extinguisher. It was all chrome and brass internal and user refillable. Not sure how old it was but it got used when soldering and welding jobs got too exciting....worked every time in every condition! Might need to hunt one down.
TWinbrook7

Russ Kirk

Well, for our telephone workshops this is the one to use.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Paul Boomer

When I had my shop the Fire Dept wanted the ABC extinguishers serviced every couple of years. One time I went out to see how they are serviced and if the needle is in the green they turn the unit upside down and tap it with a rubber hammer to fluff up the powder inside. For $15.00 a piece. I told the FD about that the next time and they said to just do the same and mark down the date.   Paul

FABphones

Quote from: TelePlay on October 19, 2017, 05:27:12 PM
What do other "restorers" have in their work areas?

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. Coincidently had purchased a small extinguisher a few weeks back, might go back and get another as didn't think to put one in my little telephone workshop.

In the barn room adjacent to my workshop there is a fire extinguisher which we have owned for at least 10 years. Thick with dust I never give it a thought, not even checked the gauge. We have a couple others scattered about the place, they keep getting moved so am not even sure where they are. I will go on a search for them tomorrow and try out Paul's tip.

Other than those; fire blanket in the kitchen. Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms all over the house. In the horse lorry we have one of those multi function alarms that also detects *gas.

Our previous house took a direct hit from a lightening bolt so am aware of how needed smoke alarms are.
Destroyed a chimney, the electrics zapped, the phone and ansaphone blew apart (found in pieces across the other side of the room). Even electrical stuff that wasn't plugged in arc'd and was destroyed.

*Just in case this is lost in translation - lorry has living accommodation, so gas as in cooker, not gasoline...

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

I never saw this post before! But it's extremely important to have a good working fully charged fire extinguisher handy.
I used to be in charge of checking fire extinguishers where I once worked. We had several 10 and 20 pound extinguishers hanging in key areas and signs up on the wall marking the location.

A small extigusher is only good for very small fires.
If you have a decent size area with combustible things around I would say get at least a three pound extinguisher.
At my work place every two years a company came in and inspected all the extigushers and location if they got changed as sometimes things got moved around.
And they also recamend up grades to larger 20 pound units.
John you did pretty good getting that ten pounder that's a good size for your area and contents.

I have a 4 pound on in my shop right next to the door.

That place I worked at had a fire in the middle of the night once, a painter had covered security lights outside with plastic, and the light was triggered, the rest is history.

A lot of damage happened in a short time and boy I sure hate the idea of some thing catching fire in my home or my shop when I'm not around.
I don't know if anyone here has gone through that experience, but it's extreem to say the least.
Protection is very important.
KEN

Butch Harlow

Protection is incredibly important. Sometimes, however, all the preparedness in the world doesn't help. I am currently recovering from a nasty 2nd degree burn on the thumb and palm of my left hand due to a freak accident involving a B tank acetylene torch. The swivel ferrule at the hose end closest to the torch handle came apart partially while I was brazing a lineset. It erupted into flames and created a bit of a hazard inside an apartment we were rehabbing. Luckily, I was able to drag the entire unit outside, once I wasn't engulfed in flames, and the only way to get it to go out was to turn off the service valve on the tank. It was a painfully slow process. In 53 years on the planet, it was the closest I have been to death. Nothing would put out that fire, water, smothering it with wet rags, or the extinguisher. It just kept on shooting fire like a rocket gone astray. Once the adrenaline wore off I realized I had badly burned my left hand. I am left handed, so the last week or so have been a challenge.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Oh no! Wow I wish you the best in recovery and healing.
You are correct too, you can be prepared for what you think might happen, but there's always that chance the unexpected happens. Good luck in your journey.
KEN