News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has this been "Franken-phoned"?

Started by Greg G., June 23, 2012, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

It appears that somebody modified a perfectly good subset to be all-inclusive, or was it made that way?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

sebbel

No. As far as I know this is an early Automatic Electric wall monophone. I got one just like, abeit slighly more black, as part of a lot. But of course maybe mine was done by the same surgeon.

Slap on a pair of glove and rub the paint off with easyoff and fine steel whool (0000). Should come right off and since the original undercoat is baked paint, it should stay there.
Seb.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on June 23, 2012, 01:41:56 PM
It appears that somebody modified a perfectly good subset to be all-inclusive, or was it made that way?
Looks real nice to me. Shine that brass up and post another picture. It is a beauty!!...Doug
Kidphone

sebbel

Is it brass or golden paint?  Mine was all black.
Seb.

Greg G.

Quote from: sebbel on June 23, 2012, 07:23:28 PM
Is it brass or golden paint?  Mine was all black.

Seller says it's paint, I don't own it.  The design just doesn't appeal to me, although it looks very clean.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

AE used that same metal bos for quite a few items including 1 piece phones, 2 piece phones and subsets. I belive that they have been found to be brass though the majority are likely steel. Al lwere painted black originally. This one certainly looks as though it had its paint stripped off but never quite got the final clean up and polish.

Terry

sebbel

To me it looks more like the opposite. It was painted golden rather than stripped, albeit by a person with very limited spray painting abilities.

Seb.

stub

Brinybay,
               It's a AE Type 3 , it came in black-japanned steel box. The 3 has the induction coil in box.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Doug Rose

Briny...if you are no interested, will you post the link...thanks...Doug
Kidphone