News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Examples of reproduction/fake candlesticks and parts

Started by Sargeguy, November 04, 2012, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have started this thread to inform collectors about how to spot reproduction or "fake" candlesticks.  Potential buyers should first do their homework at this site:

http://www.oldphoneman.com/Fakes.htm

Please keep in mind that most sellers on eBay are unaware that they have a fake candlestick for sale

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is a classic Korean fake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130796813718

If you read the fine print it is listed as a reproduction.  I always find that putting such information in the title helps prevent any confusion.

Antique type dial candlestick telephone -WORKING! ready to plug in and call !
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

The 2nd stick down, the black ae 21.  Why is that one a fake?
Dave

TelePlay

Thank you!

Very informational for those of us who haven't worked with sticks or just beginning to look at them. I could spot a lot of fakes but this adds a whole new level of what to look for, or watch out for when checking out a stick.

rdelius

The black one is not a fake .It is an Autelco rebuild. This was part of AE and rebuilt sets of different makes using AE conversion parts.During WWll sets were hard to get so you could get your non dial sets converted to dial and put back inti service.
Robby

newskeeto

This one was throwing up all sorts of red flags for me. 

http://tinyurl.com/bmn8smr

<edit> Pictures posted below at reply #9

poplar1

You're right.

The Nov 1910 date is a made up one.
There is no tag on the front of the transmitter.
The dial is Automatic Electric.
It is polished brass not painted black.
The rivet on the hook is too close to the handle (stem).
The cord entrance is not right.
The hook goes down too far.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Phonesrfun

Let's add:

Felt cover was redone with an odd color
Screws in the base are not the original style, and they don't all seem to be the same
Add to the AE dial the fact that the number card has "area Code" on it, which is conceivable but not likely that a deskstand phone was in active use at the time area codes were being presented to the public in the 1960's
The receiver is the later model that holds the HA1 receiver element.  I forget the model of receiver....795, perhaps.  This is the most likely of all the variations, since these were a later replacement widely used, but usually went along with a bulldog transmitter.  And what the heck is the subset pictured?

-Bill G

poplar1

I don't have a repro receiver here to look at, but the receiver pictured may be repro. In any case, all 706A receivers are supposed to have the hill-and-dale recevier cap. The correct cap has the same threads as the cap for an F-type handset but looks different.

These caps were made so that if the howler tone was sent out by the central office to remind the subscriber to hang up, the tone could be heard even if the receiver was upright with its cap down on a table or desk.

Exception: 706As were made by Northern Electric until about 1973 (until Norm Frost decided to discontinue them) and the later ones had the same cap as F- handsets.

Sargeguy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140885080500

A classic Frankenphone.  A mixture of authentic WE parts and repro parts
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

Only thing that looks WE to me is the 5H dial, 20AL lug holder (perch) and maybe the handle (stem).

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on November 13, 2012, 06:22:09 PM
A classic Frankenphone.  A mixture of authentic WE parts and repro parts

Was it really worth the $249 plus shipping? If so, why? Just trying to learn.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: TelePlay on November 22, 2012, 11:22:48 AM
Was it really worth the $249 plus shipping? If so, why? Just trying to learn.

My take is that someone who just wants an antique phone for some room in their house, and who doesn't know squat about the phones is quite likely to pay that amount, since they probably haven't done any research into the authenticity or the pricing.  Probably someone who will spend $250 for a decoration or a novelty for their house just as readily as I would spend money on a diet Coke.

I also think these buyers are exactly the kinds of buyers the sellers of the fake phones are looking for.  They will get their phone and be perfectly happy with it, regardless of its lack of authenticity.  Ignorance is bliss.

Unfortunately, some collectors will sometimes get burned by one of these.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

well, I thought I'd add this.... Has anyone seen the candlestick phones on Ebay being sold by The Antique House? these are new reproductions out of all places.....INDIA! they look pretty but I would'nt want anything like those in my house... what are your thoughts on this question.... oh yeh, they are listed in the 1940-1969 section....
John