News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Jefferson Tube Restorer

Started by TelePlay, December 06, 2016, 01:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

This goes back to the early 1920s. 4 pin tubes with bayonet mount. Top view shows two pin connections. PM page presents it well (note the screw in bulb socket power plug).

Did these really work and if so, how, cleaning off what?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920S-JEFFERSON-TWO-TUBE-TUBE-REJUVENATOR-NR-/162302779687

19and41

I would bet they increased the filament potential to "burn" off any residual oxygen and carbon in the envelope.  Not too much else one can do with household current
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WB6NVH

They were used to "rejuvenate" early and primitive tubes with thoriated tungsten (?) cathodes.  Yes they did work, at least a couple times, and yes, they worked by burning off impurities.

RB

There were machines for both small tubes, and crt's
The cleaning would usually" clean off impurities from the elements,but it would return.
The process could be repeated a few times to obtain the desired result. which prolonged the life of the tube.
The flip side, too much extra juice, could pop the element, and dead tube.
This procedure did not work on later tubes, as the construction was just too whimpy,
and the elements would melt, and short to each other.

Dan/Panther

The earlier 1950's CRT rejuvenators, were actually used to remove all of the Dead Cowboys, and Indians that had collected on the bottom side of the CRT.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

RB

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 25, 2018, 11:48:37 AM
The earlier 1950's CRT rejuvenators, were actually used to remove all of the Dead Cowboys, and Indians that had collected on the bottom side of the CRT.

D/P
Oh, that's good!
you twisted rascal! ;)

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke