and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Orchid AE40

Started by Partyline4, May 15, 2015, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

ebay.com/itm/271866291556

Anybody talking about this?

I guess they really do turn blue with age...

I always heard it was from paint due to the unpopularity of the color at the time....

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, Another AE goes for big bucks!

Isn't it funny how AE stuff is typically more valuable than WE, until the early fifties or so? At that point (other than earlier colored 302s and certain other models) general WE stuff seems to be more valuable than AE.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

Just happened to catch the finish - jumped from $990 to $2200.01 in the last few seconds...

Wow!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jon Kolger

The orchid color plastic must have been very unstable.  This is the reason that you never see any orchid color AE phones.  They almost always turn this robins-egg blue color.  I've had several of these orchid phones over the years, and they were all blue like this one.  I probably should have kept one, as the blue they turn into is actually pretty attractive.  Stromberg Carlson also made phones in the orchid color.  I don't know if it was exactly the same type of plastic, but they also generally also turn blue over time.  To find an orchid phone that hasn't changed color is a lucky find indeed.  I will attach photos of an orchid AE 40 showing how it has changed color.  Also attached is a photo of a S-C "Fatboy" that has retained it's color, albeit slightly faded.

Jon Kolger

The Orchid AE 40 photos didn't show up.  I will try again.

TelePlay

Over the years, there have been 2 orchid AE 40 auction contests and one orchid SC 1212 contest.

The first link is to a partially faded AE, a phone at an interesting point in its transition from orchid to blue. Sold for $500 in 12/2012.

The second is a fully turned AE 40. Sold for $4,349.99 in 6/2011.

The third link is to the SC 1212 which according to the seller has been restored. Sold for $461.99 in 1/2014.

These are the links to the auctions:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8068.msg88266#msg88266
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4996.msg62606#msg62606
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10971.msg117383#msg117383

savageje

It is interesting to me how consistent the transition is in your second picture.  I would expect to see it more often like your first picture.  I wouldn't think there would be anyway to force the color to be consistent through any restoration process.  My two cents, though -- I think I prefer the robin's egg blue.  That orchid color is interesting from a collectibility perspective -- but the original color just doesn't sit well with me.  Looks like something that should be in a candy shop or Myrna Loy's boudoir.   ;D

WEBellSystemChristian

I like the Robin's Egg blue, too--but if an Orchid-turned-blue AE40 turned up in my collection, the fact that the blue isn't original and the Orchid color is sitting underneath the faded area wouldn't sit right with me.

Anyone know if there's any way to bring back the Orchid color to a faded AE40?
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 16, 2015, 10:41:31 AM

Here's one way some have used with success . . .  ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381253676665

Sorry, just had to post this ( and I know what you were asking and I know you have used this stuff ), in fun for a chuckle  . . .

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on May 16, 2015, 11:36:12 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 16, 2015, 10:41:31 AM

Here's one way some have used with success . . .  ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381253676665

Sorry, just had to post this ( and I know what you were asking and I know you have used this stuff ), in fun for a chuckle  . . .

Nah, I think a Dremel would work faster... :o ;D
Christian Petterson

Partyline4

I'm sure there's some chemical out there, maybe MEK, that could strip away that tiny layer of blue.

Unless you're a master at sanding, it'll never look right.   :-*

I'm not familiar with any other phone changing color with age like the orchids do...

Hmmm.....

AE_Collector

Seems to me that there was an Orchid AE on ebay in the last couple of years that had not changed color at all. Now I can't recall if it went for really Big Bux like 4-6K or a somewhat surprising low amount like maybe 2K.

I agree that it is surprising how evenly they turn blue and both colors are beautiful.

Terry