News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Spreadsheet or tracker?

Started by Zombie Dave, July 10, 2018, 09:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombie Dave

Does anyone happen to know if there is a tracking or spreadsheet where we can list a phone, make and model, it's year and the of it's components? I think it would be nice to have something like that or some sort of program that allows us to catalog our collection and make notes to what needs done or what we've done. Even something generic that allows us to fill in the blanks. Just wondering.

Jim Stettler

I used to have a database program from ebay.  I never swapped it to a new computer.
I think it was from this seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorsport-Collection-Collector-Database-Software-CDROM-for-Windows/263767086270

I was using a variation that he had for franklin mint collectables.
It was a good database and held 6 photos.
You could rename the fields as needed.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

I have wanted to do this also for quite a while. I like to be organized as best I can it has always bugged me that y collection lacks that.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

Coincidentally this is something I've started to do too (before I forget the history of my phones I thought it would be good to note the info).

My choice was Excel (part of the Microsoft package).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Somebody here posted a spreadsheet a few years back. i do not recall who or when but a search should pull it up. I am at work right now and do not have time to do a search.

EDIT: I did a quick search and found a topic. There is discussion about different ways & a log sheet posted here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1927.0
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Zombie Dave

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 10, 2018, 11:22:59 AM
Somebody here posted a spreadsheet a few years back. i do not recall who or when but a search should pull it up. I am at work right now and do not have time to do a search.

EDIT: I did a quick search and found a topic. There is discussion about different ways & a log sheet posted here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1927.0

Thank you! Hopefully something in that thread will work. I still think it would make a good app for some computer savvy person.  ;D  Something easy where you just select make and model, fill in the blanks or dates, numbers...etc and attach pictures. I'm sure something out there exist. I'ts probably just not phone specific. Hot wheels...etc Some sort of collector.  :-\

I really enjoyed the post about storing them in boxes with just a number. If you're looking for a specific phone just look for the number.

At this time I only have 14 so it's not a huge issue and I really prefer to display my phones. I do have several that need repairs to be functional and I'd like the information on those to be more readily available.

Thank you everyone for the replies.  :)

HarrySmith

Yes, I agree. With all the phones I have in storage an easy to use speadsheet would be nice!
maybe one of our more computer savvy members can come up with something?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Zombie Dave

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 11, 2018, 05:17:22 PM
Yes, I agree. With all the phones I have in storage an easy to use speadsheet would be nice!
maybe one of our more computer savvy members can come up with something?

*Crossing my fingers* I'm messing with the spreadsheet now. Doubtful I'll figure it out. lol

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Zombie Dave

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 12, 2018, 03:24:58 PM
Good luck.

Thank you! I'm using Open Office.  Database I think is what I'm after.

andy1702

I think what you're all talking about is similar to what pretty much all museums to to log their collections. They generally call it ascessioning (forgive me if I spelt it wrong) and do it either electronically or using a paper system. The first thing you have is an ascession register, where each item in the collection is given a unique number. This could be the date the item arrived in your collection followed by two or three digits that start from 000 to give different numbers if you ascession more than one item on the same date. each item has one line in the register, including the ascession number, then things like the name of the item, a brief description and what source it came from. This information should be very brief and all contained in one line in the register. Each item then has an entire page created for it in a seperate book. Again you should use the ascession number to index this book in either descending or ascending order, whichever works easiest for you. The page in the book can have a lot more details about the item and should include it's history, where it came from, details of any conservation or repair work carried out and dates of the work done. There should also be a section detailing where the item currently is (it might be out on loan, on display or in storage somewhere). You can also include photos on the page. Although I say page here, eventually the continuing history of the item will run to more than one page. This is totally ok. The idea of the book is to have as much detail about each item as possible.

To do this on paper it's probably best to use a large ruled notebook for the register and a ring binder for the detailed files.

The key thing to remember is that the ascession number should be written on the actual item in an unobtrusive way, using ink or paint that will not accidentally rub off, but can be removed if necessary. Museum's don't tend to use tie on tags because they can get torn off over the years, but I'd say for telephones in a private collection they are a pretty good idea so as not to do any damage to the item.

Catalogue all your collection in this way and the museum community will be very impressed. Here in the UK, if you are a group trying to gain museum acreditation, then having a good system for ascessioning items is a requirement.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Zombie Dave

Quote from: andy1702 on July 14, 2018, 02:26:57 PM
I think what you're all talking about is similar to what pretty much all museums to to log their collections. They generally call it ascessioning (forgive me if I spelt it wrong) and do it either electronically or using a paper system. The first thing you have is an ascession register, where each item in the collection is given a unique number. This could be the date the item arrived in your collection followed by two or three digits that start from 000 to give different numbers if you ascession more than one item on the same date. each item has one line in the register, including the ascession number, then things like the name of the item, a brief description and what source it came from. This information should be very brief and all contained in one line in the register. Each item then has an entire page created for it in a seperate book. Again you should use the ascession number to index this book in either descending or ascending order, whichever works easiest for you. The page in the book can have a lot more details about the item and should include it's history, where it came from, details of any conservation or repair work carried out and dates of the work done. There should also be a section detailing where the item currently is (it might be out on loan, on display or in storage somewhere). You can also include photos on the page. Although I say page here, eventually the continuing history of the item will run to more than one page. This is totally ok. The idea of the book is to have as much detail about each item as possible.

To do this on paper it's probably best to use a large ruled notebook for the register and a ring binder for the detailed files.

The key thing to remember is that the ascession number should be written on the actual item in an unobtrusive way, using ink or paint that will not accidentally rub off, but can be removed if necessary. Museum's don't tend to use tie on tags because they can get torn off over the years, but I'd say for telephones in a private collection they are a pretty good idea so as not to do any damage to the item.

Catalogue all your collection in this way and the museum community will be very impressed. Here in the UK, if you are a group trying to gain museum acreditation, then having a good system for ascessioning items is a requirement.

This makes a lot of sense. I'll have to attempt something along these lines.

Thank you!

Doug Rose

Just so you all know....I find phones in MY COLLECTION that I thought I had sold. They are "hidden"  ::) in plain sight.

Good luck with that Excel spreadsheet  8) as plain sight works so well  :o...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I am teaching a seminar on using Google sheets to manage data using data entry forms I recently finished developing an incident report tracking system that was based on Google Docs and Google sheets, and reconciled it with our department of education requirements.

I keep my phone collection in boxes in a few big piles.  I just knocked ovet one of them and found a box of 10 WE mouthpieces, half were NOS "star" type, the other half were earlier rubber versions.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Zombie Dave

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 15, 2018, 07:46:13 PM
Just so you all know....I find phones in MY COLLECTION that I thought I had sold. They are "hidden"  ::) in plain sight.

Good luck with that Excel spreadsheet  8) as plain sight works so well  :o...Doug

lol I don't know that I'll ever hide mine away... unless possibly parts phones. For me I'm really fascinated by all of the information I learn( and retain it horribly )  as well as want to be able to catalog the phones and corresponding parts.

Ideally I'd like something I could attach pictures to. I'm sure something exist as there are collectors all over collecting who knows what?!