News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I got myself a cool single slot today. No keys. Before I drill, some questions.

Started by ve3kjx, October 17, 2017, 11:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ve3kjx

I was actually buying a Centurion when the guy mentioned he had this single slot WE. I normally keep it Canadian, but, cool is cool.
Model 1D
Ameritech instruction cards, Bellsouth Olympic branded vault cover. The phone is green, which I've never seen, very clean too! I'm excited.

There are no Keys, but I understand the top lock keys were issued by region?

The phone number card is: 708-456-9768

708-456   A   River Grove   IL   RVGVILRGDS0    9329 AMERITECH ILLINOIS

This is a viable match. :)

And I found a handy document that says I might need a 29A22 key (Lock comcode 100317866).

So, Is there somebody able to make keys, or shall I have a machinist friend drill the lock? (I'm guessing these are a pain to drill with normal people hardware store bits).

Also, is this a 29a lock?
Can anyone tell by looking at the pics?

Thanks. Quite a nice phone.

HarrySmith

Congratulations. Before you do anything with the locks or keys try using a screwdriver to turn them. Sometimes people gut these locks and a screwdriver will open them.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

That's a very cool phone, if the screwdriver don't work, I feel sure someone here will be able to help you find the proper keys.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

ve3kjx

No luck on the screwdriver. thanks for that tip though, good to know.

finkmac

NT Northern Telecom

ve3kjx

Quote from: finkmac on October 18, 2017, 11:18:21 AM
Very nice fortress. Did you end up getting the Centurion too?

Oh yes. That was the original reason for the trip. :)

Ed Morris

Nice phone!

I picked up a WE 1C single slot with 29A upper lock back in September from 703/804 area code (VA).  So far I have been unable to find a key.  I check eBay each day, and 29A locks and keys do show up, but not the one I need.

I am hoping to find someone reasonably close with a key who can open my phone.

As far as I know, there is no one currently cutting payphone keys. 
Ed

RB

Have you thot about a locksmith? If you can find a key blank, one could be cut...

Ed Morris

I don't know about the OP, but I have not personally asked one, but I seem to recall another thread or two here indicating locksmith's won't--or can't--cut payphone keys.  Anyone know of a locksmith cutting payphone keys?
Ed

Ktownphoneco

You could try Jody Haralson.    He's in California.    Here's his e-mail address and web site.

Haralson Enterprises, 855-PAY-JODY, or, 626-219-4006,  e-mail :  Haralsonlock@aol.com        Web Site :  Payphonelockrepair.com.

Jeff Lamb

Ktownphoneco

I think he's closed his web site, and chosen to use a hosting service to advertise his business.    It's located here :  https://www.manta.com/c/mttmpxy/haralson-enterprises

Sorry for the mix up.

jeff Lamb

TelePlay

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on October 26, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
You could try Jody Haralson.    He's in California.    Here's his e-mail address and web site.

Haralson Enterprises, 855-PAY-JODY, or, 626-219-4006,  e-mail :  Haralsonlock@aol.com        Web Site :  Payphonelockrepair.com.

Jeff Lamb

IIRC, he would only cut keys for a lock once removed from the phone and sent to him.

Also, for the record and a chance to update everyone, Mr. Haralson got himself into a bit of trouble a few years ago and is not, and will not for some time to come, be available to cut payphone keys. Yes, a great loss in that he was the last to do so to the best of my knowledge.

And the others who were cutting payphone keys have also stopped doing that for one reason or another.

TelePlay

Quote from: RB on October 26, 2017, 12:34:54 PM
Have you thot about a locksmith? If you can find a key blank, one could be cut...

Been there, done that. The locksmiths in my area say they can't pick a pay phone lock but they can drill it. Didn't ask for a price on drilling.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12227.msg129169#msg129169