News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bare Metal 39 302

Started by Doug Rose, February 22, 2018, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I had 3 metal 302s that I had been sitting on, paint was too far gone, so I tried stripping them. First was the 38 302 that came out really nice. Next was another 38 302 that after three tries stripping i cannot remove the paint, only partially  removed. I had one left, so I gave it a go yesterday as I was stopping for the day. It sat overnight and I was truly amazed. Paint was all off just waiting to be removed. No tough areas to remove. It shines like chrome, compare it to the chrome retainer ring.

Marked 4 39 twice on base, never seen that before. Looks like it was a 304 at some point.

I just hope I look that good at 79 years old.All as found except the dial and the cords, it was a manual set. I can only imagine if it was buffed. Truly amazing!!

Kidphone

RB

OK, the inside is like every other phone on here.
I do like the way the hammer is pressed onto the gong shaft.
That top though, wow! very nice smile on that player!
Buff it up, and turn the lights down. nice work!

Dan/Panther

I'm going to have to dig out my other metal 302, I can't stand it anymore. They look great.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Not every metal 302 shines up that nice. I had one I stripped and no matter what I tried I could not get a consistent finish to it. Ended up having it painted. I guess it depends on the mixture in the "pot metal". I am going to try another!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....I agree. All metal 302s were not created equal  8). But when you find the right one, you know right away. Not a bit of corrosion....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I decided I could not part with it....at least for now  8). I put a matching aluminum finger wheel and a old dial card....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

I don't blame you for holding on to it, Doug. They grow on you. Mine is currently occupying the butlers table, which has become the  showcase pedestal for spotlighting  phones from the collection.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Very nice Benny.....looks great! Love the stand....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Oh my!
Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

When I removed all the paint this was really a chrome like finish. After a few days it has morphed into a pewter finish. Maybe a tad shinier than pewter. More a shiny grey than chrome. It is tough to photograph, but looks amazing.....at least to me. I do love the 302s...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I had a lot of Metal SCs in the Dungeon and I have been fixing them and trying to move them. A few had really tough paint. This guy stripped as well as the 302 did....Doug
Kidphone