News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a Real WE Faceplate?

Started by Doug Rose, February 11, 2021, 12:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Has a transmitter and a Bakelite MP. I know that means zilch! I have never seen a plaque without out a number.

Is it Real?....Doug
Kidphone

K1WI

Hi Doug ,
   Have a few transmitters just like that.  I believe most railroad  and central office equipment had that tag .
    Andy.   K1WI
Andy F    K1WI

Doug Rose

Thanks Andy....good still see you are still around my friend, you have been missed here....Doug
Kidphone

Desert Phone Guy

Doug, It is legitimate.. The ones I have seen have been nickel plated.  they have been on WE wood wall phones.

Have seen the same "pickle tag" on a beveled transmitter also.

Steve

Doug Rose

thanks Steve....good news.... as it had the repro cup on a really nice all Brass 20-B...Doug
Kidphone

Desert Phone Guy

I think the cup is old also.

Looks right to me.

Doug Rose

Steve.....I thought 92 was a repro cap, you think it's real?  it is heavy like the real deal?....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here is the stick, the patina pretty much matches that these parts have been together for a long time.

Solid handset which I have seen on earlier WE sticks. Looks like there was filing on the perch, but no evidence of a lamp.

Opinions?....Doug
Kidphone

Desert Phone Guy

Doug, the back cup is real.  Ir was originally on a transmitter arm, and then retrofitted for candlestick use. The solid perch mount is a good indication that it is old...  and it matches the timeline of  your stick.

Steve

Doug Rose

thanks for you insight Steve...I do appreciate it. I just love this stick. I know everyone states that they never came in Brass, but this guy sure looks it....stay healthy my friend....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Nice phone. I doubt it was brass originally as it would tarnish and need regular cleaning. Here in the UK the GPO never supplied anything that had exposed brass parts, they were generally finished in black (the GPO didn't do shiny!).
:)

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on February 13, 2021, 03:57:58 AM
Nice phone. I doubt it was brass originally as it would tarnish and need regular cleaning. Here in the UK the GPO never supplied anything that had exposed brass parts, they were generally finished in black (the GPO didn't do shiny!).
:)
Agreed! Must have been a professional strip. This is not shiny, but is not dull either. I am very happy with the Patina the Brass has become.

I usually strip them and shine them for sale or let them just go to the state that they will eventually have if I keep them....Doug
Kidphone