"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

511??

Started by JubileeCompact, June 21, 2010, 03:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JubileeCompact

Hey Guys

My better half recently added this rather nice "500" to his collection. As you can see its actually a 511- whats the difference as we cant actually see one lol!

Thanks
Seamus
Seamus

bellsystemproperty

I'm confused. A 511, according to here http://paul-f.com/we500typ.htm should be a two line set. There is a key you turn to select the line. I also have a 511, and it has the key for two lines.

Maybe what happened is that someone needed a 500 base, and took it off of the 511 to put it on the normal 500.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

HarrySmith

My guess would be a re-body. Plastics replaced at some point. Need to see under the hood to be sure of what it is.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

McHeath

The handset cord has been replaced with one from a later time period, you can tell by the extra long grommet.  So I'm guessing that the phone has been reworked some, perhaps a lot. 

Does it have one white plunger with a grooved area to lift it up? 

Jim Stettler

I have seen some phones that were converted by the pioneers. Mine had a pioneer sticker and sticker residue over the old #.  The old # was a 2 line w/ exclusion. The actual phone was a single line w/ exsclusion plunger but not the exclusion mechanism.

I assume the pioneer sets were converted after 1984 and sold as fundraising extension phones. Just a guess tho.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JubileeCompact

Thanks Guys :)

Id presume its been refurbished then - the plungers are the standard clear type. Whatever it is its a great looking phone :).

Seamus
Seamus

McHeath

You might open it up and snap a pic for us of the works.  Who knows what might be inside there, left over from a previous phone life. 

JorgeAmely

McH:

I vote for a trip to the shop. Notice the pop rivet helping to hold the network box in place.

Jorge