"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE help needed: I am stuck, really!

Started by JorgeAmely, June 06, 2010, 04:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I was going to mention the hexagon center earlier, but realized it wasn't the part you wanted to get off.
Maybe try the square end of a 3/8" socket extension or 1/4" which ever size may fit, or like suggested find square stock.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

It was so easy. A simple wide flat bladed screw driver inserted from the back did it.

It didn't take a lot of torque, perhaps because the metal in that part is not that thick.

I took a picture of the cap adjustment feature that Terry mentioned a while ago. In the plated part you can see two little studs that help locate the bakelite cap in the correct position. Once you have that in place, insert the chromed center and adjust.

Jorge

JorgeAmely

Larry:

If you have a similar handset in you AE-1A, does that mean I have a Franken-phone?  >:(
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
Was the last photo you posted the parts you were referring to originally ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

D/P:
Those parts belong to the receiver. Initially I was talking about the transmitter. The final parts I got out from the handset are those shown.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

The receiver with three leads is the famous induction coil receiver that AE did for a while on the 1A and related phones.  The base of the phone has a capacitor and a wire-wound resistor in it, and the induction coil is built into the receiver!

If you have Ralph Meyer's book, he describes the circuit in there.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Bill, do you know those moments when the sky is full of clouds and all of a sudden it parts open and light shines in front of you and all of a sudden everything makes sense?

Well, I have been looking at the schematic of the AE34 and noticed that my phone and that schematic don't make any sense at all.  ??? ??? ???

If it wasn't for you, I was about to post a request for an AE34 induction coil.

Is the schematic you are talking about the one I have attached below?  ??? ??? ???
Jorge

stub

Jorge,
        If you have the induction coil recevier(3 wire) this will help. Pics are from NYFED 's 34.       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

QuoteIf you have a similar handset in you AE-1A, does that mean I have a Franken-phone?

Jorge,

From what I have seen, the AE 1A and AE34 used the same or very similar handsets.  My 1A handset does not have an inductor in it, but apparently some did.  The original thread about my phone is at http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2349.  Your handset looks much nicer than mine.

Larry

stub

Larry,
         The AE Catalog 4055-C June 1940 , pg. 13 says you could get the 1A with either  induction coil receiver or induction coil in subset. AE Catalog 4055 June  1934, pg 6 ,says that the induction  coil receiver made that phone a 11-A" The Type 11-A desk stand is equipped with an induction-coil receiver, and can be used with any conventional ringer box which contains a 1 mf. or 2 mf. condenser."  Your phone is a AE 1A with the correct  ringer box.
        The 34A3 came with induction coil receiver and a 205 ohm resistor  and it also came with  a #D-282155-A induction coil in the base of phone. So I guess there are no frankenphones here.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Thank you Larry and stub for your help. Looking forward to finish cleaning it up and showing a few pictures here.

The diagram is very helpful stub, thanks again for posting it.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

I am late on the response, but yes, Jorge, the schematic you show is for the induction coil receiver set.

-Bill G

stub

Jorge-
      Thanks, The pic are NYFED"s , I just saved them because we don't have this one on the TCI site.
       If anybody has software to clean up the schematic , please do so and see if we can post it to the TCI Technical Library website.    Later,  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Bill:

Did AE consider the induction coil receiver less manufacturable or less efficient and that is why later designs use the conventional induction coil?
Jorge

AE_Collector

I always sort of thought that the induction coil receivers were a less expensive set to manufacture and were intended for use on PBX's rather than directly on CO lines. Just my thoughts though....

Terry