News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What did I do wrong? Won wooden french desk phone.

Started by countryman, November 24, 2019, 04:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

Bidding was slow on this one and I thought I might help the seller a little... now I won it  ;)
What's wrong with it, that it did not go any higher? Looks like an interesting phone to me... frankly, I'm excited what will arrive.
OK handset cord, transmitter element and maybe more is missing but for the price?
eBay link:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/223754672432

FABphones

Not sure it has the correct handset, but looking forward to seeing more of this countryman.  :)

Screenshot of listing:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Just spotted this, ebay France. Makes for an interesting comparison.  :)

FABphones

Marque:

andre_janew

You did nothing wrong.  For some unknown reason,  there weren't many people interested in it.

countryman

Thanks, the pics will be of interest for comparison when my purchase arrives.
Basically both seem to be "Model 1910" sets, also named "Marty" according to Alain's page. In this case  ~1940ies wartime versions with simplified steel cradle.
I already have a model 1910 "Adjudication 1938" AOIP handset just like the one sitting on the new purchase - so I think it might be original, but not sure though. It looks like the latest of the wooden sets came with the type 1924 handsets, like on your pics. Maybe also depending on the manufacturer?

ma_xyz

As you have already one you probably know that. Just in case: I did once struggle to get the Crank off of one of these until I realized that it had a counterclockwise lock screw.

Nice piece, will for sure be an interesting restoration.

Jim Stettler

It is a nice find. I suggest you put it in the November find of the month.
Just my opinion,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RB

Looks like the cradle may have some damage???
or just loose, but a real different piece to play with!
congrats.

countryman

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. It has not arrived yet and I'd like to check it out before nominating it.
Also, I have already nominated my Siemens dial pulse logger ;-)

@RB, yes I also wondered about the loose cradle and how the mechanism was supposed to work originally. Hopefully it will be fixable.

countryman

I worked on the phone now. It is in a "heavily used" condition, but not actually defective. So I'll try to preserve it with it's patina. There were no dates inside, but it has the later, smaller, more modern anti sidetone coil that must have appeared around 1940. As mentioned above, it also has a simplified steel cradle from the same era. The hinge is worn, and whatever served as a pivot originally was replaced by a rusty nail! But again, the function is OK and it works as supposed. It needs getting used to that the cradle moves more backwards than downwards when putting the handset on, though.
The handset isn't original to this AOIP phone, as it was produced by Burgunder. It has marks on it including the number 53, as I posted overly enthusiastic in this thread. Thinking it over, it can't possibly be a production date. With all due caution, it might have been refurbished that late?
So what I did was cleaning up the phone, especially the magneto was full of gummed up grease. I replaced the cut off grey vinyl handset cord remnants with a black cloth cord and also found an acceptable replacement for the missing foot - a round iron knob which I ground to the proper height. It's not an exact replacement but the same shape and material as the 3 original feet.
After tightening some connections the phone worked. Meanwhile I also cleaned off the white paint from the terminal.

countryman

internal view and diagram for completion