News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Some of My Radios

Started by LarryInMichigan, January 15, 2015, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

BTW, from what i have been able to find online about these, this is probably the very first model that Zenith introduced.  I paid $10 for it in a shop (near Dennis Markham's house) last week in non-working condition, replaced a few capacitors, and it now works.

Speaking of "owl" radios, I am currently working on a Zenith K412-W, which I bought a few hours prior to the Royal "500".

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...you shouldn't be traveling in those neighborhoods!!   ::)...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Here is another "owl".  Zenith K412-W (c. 1953)

LarryInMichigan

Zenith 7H822WZ (c.1949).  It is the same model as the 7H822Z (thread link) but in an ivory plaskon cabinet instead of brown bakelite.

LarryInMichigan

I just cannot stop myself!  Admiral 5R11-N (c.1949)

TelePlay

You must be living in an area where these are more common. All I ever see are wood and Made in China Crosley repros. Can't remember the last time I saw a Bakelite or variant of Bakelite radio. But, that's one way to solve a budding radioitis problem, I guess.

BTW, nice radios, very nice radios indeed!

LarryInMichigan

Zenith G-510Y (c.1950)

Fabius

Very nice. Is that a cloth or metallic grill cloth?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

LarryInMichigan

The front grill is metal.  It was apparently originally painted gold but was rather discolored, so I gave it a couple of quick coats with gold spray paint.  Behind the metal is some sort of cloth or felt.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Beautiful radios, Larry!

LarryInMichigan

Fabius

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on May 04, 2015, 03:53:36 PM
The front grill is metal.  It was apparently originally painted gold but was rather discolored, so I gave it a couple of quick coats with gold spray paint.  Behind the metal is some sort of cloth or felt.

Larry

Very attractive, nice job.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

It's nice to see that Zenith Ivory AM-FM.  My uncle had one just like it.  Sometimes I would stay over with my cousin and we would listen for school snow closings on it.  It burned in a house fire in 1981.  You don't see the Ivory ones very often.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: 19and41 on May 05, 2015, 03:37:16 PM
It's nice to see that Zenith Ivory AM-FM.  My uncle had one just like it.  Sometimes I would stay over with my cousin and we would listen for school snow closings on it.  It burned in a house fire in 1981.  You don't see the Ivory ones very often.

I am sorry about your uncle's radio.  If I hear that your school is closed on mine, I will let you know :).

This model and other very similar looking ones are quite common in brown bakelite (just ask Dennis), but they seem to be quite rare in plaskon.  These radios perform quite well, and they usually get good prices on ebay.  I think that my two were very good deals.

Larry

19and41

The old school is a combination old folks apartment house and town museum.  The kids can't believe I went to a place that old.  :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke