News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich 100 Series wiring

Started by mentalstampede, July 02, 2017, 11:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

Does anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for the 100 series Leichs, specifically a 115 (with Dial and h/s latch)?
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

unbeldi

Here is what I have.
The set is essentially like a WECo 500 set, except the network connections are a little different.
This diagram does not contain the latch.  Haven't seen a diagram for that, IIRC.  But with this is should be fairly simple to ascertain its wiring.

unbeldi

Would love to see some detailed pics of your 115.  They aren't found in abundance.
It is hard to find reliable information. Do you have  any 1950s catalogs ?

mentalstampede

Quote from: unbeldi on July 02, 2017, 12:42:50 PM
Here is what I have.
The set is essentially like a WECo 500 set, except the network connections are a little different.
This diagram does not contain the latch.  Haven't seen a diagram for that, IIRC.  But with this is should be fairly simple to ascertain its wiring.

Thanks, that's perfect. The phone works perfect; It transmits and receives, dials out, and even rings. The only problem is the hookswitch latch doesn't allow monitoring of the line. Now that I've seen this diagram, it looks like i hooked up the line cord incorrectly; a simple switch of the ring lead and the white lead from the dial should fix it up.

Here's a couple quick pics I took last night when I was starting to clean it up. It was filthy, but I was excited to snatch it up when I saw it was labeled 20~ and had the latch. Other than copious amounts of dirt and some sticker residue it is great condition.

I'm fighting the security check bug on the pictures. I'll try to upload some later.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

TelePlay

Quote from: mentalstampede on July 02, 2017, 02:26:23 PM
I'm fighting the security check bug on the pictures. I'll try to upload some later.

It's been more sensitive the past few days to a week. Haven't seen it in months and then caught it 3 or 4 times myself recently. I ran the images through BatchPurifier

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18071.0

and that solved the problem.

You taking photos with a newer camera phone or editing in an Adobe product (just curious)

mentalstampede

Quote from: TelePlay on July 02, 2017, 02:32:25 PM
It's been more sensitive the past few days to a week. Haven't seen it in months and then caught it 3 or 4 times myself recently. I ran the images through BatchPurifier

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18071.0

and that solved the problem.

You taking photos with a newer camera phone or editing in an Adobe product (just curious)

I'll give Batchpurifier a try. I took the photos with an Android smartphone and edited them using GIMP.

mentalstampede

Here goes nothing. I'll post photos of the internals later this evening when I have a chance to open it back up.

unbeldi

The phone has a 20 Hz frequency ringer,  indicated by code T.   You're lucky, because that means it still rings today on a standard line.

Alex G. Bell

I have here a box which I marked "Leich 105C w/ hooklatch"  Based on what was in previous replies that's self-contradictory: it's either truly a 115 or does not have hooklatch.  But if that's what I marked on the box most likely it's what's marked on the phone.  Perhaps it's a Frankenfone that was converted.  If there is interest I'll dig it out and report in more detail on what I find.  Good to see from Karl's chart that it probably has a SL ringer.

I also have an AE40 with hooklatch and a Kellogg full size wood magneto wall phone with hooklatch.  The 40 was one of my first eBay purchases circa 1998. 

The WE 302AA/AC performed a similar function (if I remember the codes accurately), using what was originally an exclusion switch but there was a version of the 354 marked "modified per A-xxxxx" (some 4 or 5 digit #) which implemented a mechanical hooklatch function on the handset cradle and there were D-type handset mountings with this function too: a small lever on the underside of the cradle.

All kind of interesting variations on standard sets.

mentalstampede

Quote from: unbeldi on July 02, 2017, 03:27:32 PM
The phone has a 20 Hz frequency ringer,  indicated by code T.   You're lucky, because that means it still rings today on a standard line.

It's interesting to me that Leich used both a letter code for ringing frequency and the actual number. In any case, that "20" stamped on the base is one of the reasons I snapped this up.

unbeldi

Quote from: mentalstampede on July 02, 2017, 04:52:29 PM
It's interesting to me that Leich used both a letter code for ringing frequency and the actual number. In any case, that "20" stamped on the base is one of the reasons I snapped this up.

I suppose the letter code is suitable in the ordering number of the set, while in the field it may be more convenient for installers to see the numerical frequency, but one would think they learn those codes pretty quickly.  In any case, Stromberg-Carlson also did that at least at times, and I think I have seen Kellogg sets with codes and numbers.

unbeldi

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on July 02, 2017, 03:51:41 PM
I have here a box which I marked "Leich 105C w/ hooklatch"  Based on what was in previous replies that's self-contradictory: it's either truly a 115 or does not have hooklatch.  But if that's what I marked on the box most likely it's what's marked on the phone.  Perhaps it's a Frankenfone that was converted.  If there is interest I'll dig it out and report in more detail on what I find.  Good to see from Karl's chart that it probably has a SL ringer.

I have seen so few of the 100-series that I don't even have confirmation of all the model numbers.  I have been going by the model number sequence of the 700-series.  This may be the first 115 I have seen in pics.

101   Common battery, manual service
105   Common battery, dial service
111   Common battery, as 101 manual, but with push-to-talk hookswitch latch for party lines.
115   As 105, for dial service, with hookswitch latch

I don't have any confirmation for the other numbers, 13x, 14x, 15x, and 16x.  I suspect some of those weren't implemented with the 425 style network anymore.

Below is a list for the 700-series.  The 700s looked the same as the 100s, but used the old induction coil transmission circuit and had F1 and HA1 handset elements.

unbeldi

This is the way I like to display this phone type.
Since it looks so similar to a 500 set, wall mounting it emphasizes the major difference.

This is in fact the way the set was found, in wall mounting configuration.   It was originally a manual set from the factory made in August 1955, marked 101J 66 2/3, but a dial was added and the ringer changed to 50 Hz frequency in 1956.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: unbeldi on July 02, 2017, 07:44:09 PM
I have seen so few of the 100-series that I don't even have confirmation of all the model numbers.  I have been going by the model number sequence of the 700-series.  This may be the first 115 I have seen in pics.
I inspected mine.  Like yours, mine has the dial installed "upside down" for wall mounting and a stub of IW instead of a line cord. 

The original 303-486 number appears on an adhesive sticker on top of the plastic finger wheel to add the area code.   The last 4 digits of the # have been blacked out with a marker but after removing the FW I found a plain white number card with the full 486-xxxx 7-digit number.  So it's from CO but I have not tried to determine where.

An interesting detail of the area code sticker is that at the bottom is printed: "DDD Access No. 17".

Mine has a problem with the feet drying out, cracking and falling apart.  That's a manageable problem once I get it mounted on a wooden "L" stand like yours.

It's actually marked 105C on the bottom and does contain a SL ringer, although the clapper has a very different feel from a C4 ringer, stiff enough to almost seem like a frequency ringer at "first pluck".  But it's not, it's SL.  It looks like any one of these sets that came into a collector's possession with a frequency ringer could be retrofitted with a WE, ITT or S-C C4-style ringer to make it fully operable.

Mine also does indeed have the hooklatch function.  I'm not sure whether it could have been retrofitted given the number of mechanical parts on the cradle switch assembly that are required for this function, in addition to drilling the housing. 

The housing has a molded bushing for the button so precise drilling would be easy and the button overhangs the hole on top and is retained with a "C" ring inside so how clean the edges of the hole are at the top surface is not apparent without some disassembly. However one suspicious thing suggesting it might have been converted is the fact that the hand-hold "cup" is beige whereas the rest of the housing is black.

Mine is old enough to use a standard 3" (#51x?) dial with black metal plate with "radiating" white arrow heads and a separate outer plastic number ring.  I suppose that like AE 80-series sets later ones used a single piece plastic plate.