News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Burled Walnut NE #1

Started by Doug Rose, June 29, 2022, 02:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this Burled Walnut #1 on eBay and was surprised no one was after it as you could see the brown coming through.

Anyway it came this morning wonderfully packed BUT a very hard to see crack on the front right corner.

Bummer! >:(

Seller agreed to a partial refund so I decided to strip it and play anyway.

Stripped very easy and it is now sitting with Avon SSS as the Bakelite was extremely dry.

These are just such majestic phones.

I am stripping a Brass finger wheel to go back on the original NE 5H dial.

I took pics as I can never get them to work when I re-assmble  :(

Most dates are '51. Why did NE make these when they were also producing 302s??? I am glad they did!

Done for today as I will have to re-apply SSS later

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384960635935

Kidphone

Jon Kolger

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: Jon Kolger on June 29, 2022, 02:14:38 PMWhat is Avon SSS?

Avon is the manufacturer. Skin So Soft (SSS) is a beauty product. Also often used as an insect repellant.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on June 29, 2022, 02:09:53 PMMost dates are '51. Why did NE make these when they were also producing 302s??? I am glad they did!

Uniphones were sold to the independents. Bell Canada did not buy Uniphones, only the 302s. NE 302s were also sold to independents, even in the U.S.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on June 29, 2022, 04:56:20 PMUniphones were sold to the independents. Bell Canada did not buy Uniphones, only the 302s. NE 302s were also sold to independents, even in the U.S.
thanks David...it has always bothered me, I couldn't understand the logic....Doug
Kidphone

NorthernElectric

Nice score Doug!

It boggles my mind that somebody painted it black.  I wonder if the phone company had it sitting on the shelf and no black ones left in stock when they signed up a new subscriber that didn't want to pay extra?

I picked up a burled walnut #2 this month.  The #1 is still on my wish list.
Cliff

Doug Rose

Quote from: NorthernElectric on June 29, 2022, 06:32:53 PMNice score Doug!

It boggles my mind that somebody painted it black.  I wonder if the phone company had it sitting on the shelf and no black ones left in stock when they signed up a new subscriber that didn't want to pay extra?

I picked up a burled walnut #2 this month.  The #1 is still on my wish list.
thanks Cliff...I appreciate it...Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Uniphones were sold to independent non-Bell operating companies, the 302 and variants were for Bell operating companies.  Why Bell Canada did it that way is on of those Great Mysteries.

Mike

Doug Rose

Still not done, but I assembled to test. These are such a cool phones. Brass finger wheel need a little work and I do not like the handset cord.

Far right front is the crack. You have to look for it, but I know it is there.

This is tough to get good pics!!...Doug

Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

I need to did my brown Uniphone out and polish it so it looks as nice as your's!

Mike

HarrySmith

Looks great :D Personally I prefer the open center fingerwheel that was on  it before.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 30, 2022, 04:00:20 PMLooks great :D Personally I prefer the open center fingerwheel that was on  it before.
honestly Harry, so do I but it is a Western and this is  NE, that came with it....Doug
Kidphone

Jon Kolger

Didn't these normally come with a brown painted fingerwheel?  Seems I read that somewhere, probably on this forum.

Doug Rose

Jon, I have seen a few,  Black dial and Receiver Cord which I thought looked terrible with the Mottle Brown of the set.

I have seen more Black ones than the Burled Walnut, but I have stripped a few with black paint. I wonder why they were painted after going to this much trouble...Doug
Kidphone