News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Out of the Ordinary WE Dial

Started by RDPipes, November 28, 2022, 10:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Well, it's out of the ordinary to me at least. I picked this F-56661 NOS dial up some time back and just been holding on to it till I found what it went to. Well that time has passed and I'm still curious about this dial, one being that it's painted Grey on it's side instead of Black or White. (only for grey phones? Nah!) Two because it has an extra wire terminal "G" making 6 terminals instead of the usual 5. And Why the unpainted aluminum finger wheel, not very attractive to me. I'd rather had seen chrome but, they would have had to spend a little more and bring back the steel finger wheels to chrome because this one is dated 10-69. Oh, one other thing, this dial has no "Y" terminal, they are as follows; "G","BL","R","BB" with "BK" and "W" on the bottom half.
Anyhow, anyone know what this dial was used for?

poplar1

Part of the kit of parts installed in customer owned housings. You owned the housing but paid rent forever on the inside parts, which remained Telcom property.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Well, it seems I've answered my own question. Check this BSP out, it states it's for customer owned decorator sets, Hmm!

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on November 28, 2022, 10:34:24 AMPart of the kit of parts installed in customer owned housings. You owned the housing but paid rent forever on the inside parts, which remained Telcom property.
While you were posting Dave, I was typing, LOL! Thank you just the same though!
Still wondering why the EXTRA terminal, have any idea Dave?

paul-f

See https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=501-162-100+i7

Check out Fig. 5, diagram C, which matches the terminals on your dial. Consult Table D to see some uses for a 6-type dial with the 5C schematic layout.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MMikeJBenN27

It seems a little old for it, but this looks like a dial for one of those Designer Phones.  The Y and BL are the pulsing contacts, and the other four are the two sets of dial switch contacts.  If using a 425 B or E network, you can wire these the same as 7 or 9 series dials, just ignore one of the sets of dial switch contacts.  There is a way to use these in a phone that uses a subset.  Perhaps another member remembers how.

Mike

RDPipes

Quote from: paul-f on November 28, 2022, 01:41:22 PMSee https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=501-162-100+i7

Check out Fig. 5, diagram C, which matches the terminals on your dial. Consult Table D to see some uses for a 6-type dial with the 5C schematic layout.
Thank you Paul, looks like I haven't a use for it because I don't collect anything older then 400 series phones.
Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on November 28, 2022, 02:02:34 PMIt seems a little old for it, but this looks like a dial for one of those Designer Phones.  The Y and BL are the pulsing contacts, and the other four are the two sets of dial switch contacts.  If using a 425 B or E network, you can wire these the same as 7 or 9 series dials, just ignore one of the sets of dial switch contacts.  There is a way to use these in a phone that uses a subset.  Perhaps another member remembers how.

Mike
Thank you Mike.

poplar1

G and BL are the pulsing contacts. G = Y on a 5H or 6A dial. BL = BK on a 5H/6A dial.

To be consistent with a 5H/6A, you would strap BL and BK together. Then R on this dial = R on a 5H/6A: the existing slate-red jumper from L1 goes to R on dial.

Finally, the function of BB and W are the opposite of a 5H/6A, since they make rather than break. On the 5H/6A, they open the receiver circuit (Brown-blue hookswitch to BB and white receiver to W.) To use this dial on a 302, you would connect both the brown-blue hookswitch wire and the white receiver wire to BB. Then, run a jumper wire from W on dial to R on  the 101A induction coil. This will short the receiver whenever the dial is in use.

If nothing else, you probably got a very good 164A number plate to use on a 5H or 6A dial!

RDPipes

Quote from: poplar1 on November 28, 2022, 04:49:02 PMG and BL are the pulsing contacts. G = Y on a 5H or 6A dial. BL = BK on a 5H/6A dial.

To be consistent with a 5H/6A, you would strap BL and BK together. Then R on this dial = R on a 5H/6A: the existing slate-red jumper from L1 goes to R on dial.

Finally, the function of BB and W are the opposite of a 5H/6A, since they make rather than break. On the 5H/6A, they open the receiver circuit (Brown-blue hookswitch to BB and white receiver to W.) To use this dial on a 302, you would connect both the brown-blue hookswitch wire and the white receiver wire to BB. Then, run a jumper wire from W on dial to R on  the 101A induction coil. This will short the receiver whenever the dial is in use.

If nothing else, you probably got a very good 164A number plate to use on a 5H or 6A dial!

Oh, okay! Thank you Dave! Then I can use it on a earlier model phone. That's actually a real good thing see'en It's my last WE dial I have in stock. I had about 8 dials a while ago and now there all gone. Well except this one and one other #5 I need to get cleaned and adjusted.

MMikeJBenN27

Thanks!  I know there is a way to wire it with a 634/684 subset used with a 202, but I didn't know you can easily use these in a 302!  Great to know!

Mike

HowardPgh

Howard

RDPipes

Quote from: HowardPgh on March 03, 2023, 10:15:31 AMWhat size screw mounts these?

The same as most WE dials (can't recall screw size).

poplar1