News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

telephone photos - david@london

Started by david@london, December 17, 2012, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

Western Electric 2500D Touch-Tone 1970....

david@london

This WE500 Signal Corps, dated 12/52 on the base, was the first U.S. phone I ever bought,
found at an East of London antique shop. It has a strong whiff of liquorice mixed with Gorgonzola.

As it is a Signal Corps phone, our GM, CJ, requested some info and pictures....

The transmitter is a modern replacement and there have been some other additions since 1952 - the dial is a 7D dated 1-62, the bakelite caps + receiver element are 8-58.

I added a straight handset cord, dated 55, as the phone came with a late 60s/70s replacement coiled cord.

Network marked 11-52 SAC 1340.

Base marked GA-51859  12-52

Shell 12 13 52 1

C2A ringer 12-52

Numbercard I added, the phone came without one.

Handset is a G1 Western Electric, no S.C. marking.

Imprint under cradle - SIGNAL CORPS US ARMY TELEPHONE SET  TA-236/FT Western Electric

Seller included 2 US Army card tags marked 130th EI Squadron Salt Lake City, Utah.

It seems likely that this phone was used at a USAF base in England.

The base is in a fairly worn-in state, though the shell looks nearly new, with a high shine to it.

david@london

david@london

Pink TT, after a quick bath, is ready for its application of salon crème peroxide. Orange tinge visible on case and handset (not caps)...

david@london

Quote from: FABphones on October 16, 2019, 01:35:24 PMYou won't hear any tinkling, no gongs in there. One of mine has a ringer, the other doesn't.

CJ, could you post a photo of the interior of your U-43 with the ringer pls?
Am v interested to see what that looks like. Merci bien.

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on February 02, 2023, 01:20:06 PM...could you post a photo of the interior of your U-43 with the ringer pls...

Salut David. Hopefully this screenshot will help you compare. I'm not able to open any phones up at the mo.

This is a handy website which details the U43 téléphone taken apart:
http://mgc99.free.fr/Telephone/U43.html

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on October 16, 2019, 05:43:47 PM...ou est mon ringer, CJ?

There is no buzzer in your U43 (not all of mine have one either).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Contempra

Quote from: FABphones on February 02, 2023, 01:52:35 PMSalut David. Hopefully this screenshot will help you compare. I'm not able to open any phones up at the mo.

This is a handy website which details the U43 téléphone taken apart:
http://mgc99.free.fr/Telephone/U43.html

Thank you FAB for the link , very interesting .

david@london

Perhaps the internal buzzer was for phones used in offices and those with separate bell boxes for home use? Many thanks CJ... great info.