News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Phone & Subset, Now Another Problem. Low Volume.

Started by hemi71x, March 24, 2011, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi71x

Went and purchased another phone and subset box, so i don't have to rewire my other one that i have inquired about in another posting.
Well, looks like i'm getting in deep with these old vintage telephones now.
This system was advertised to work as is, by just plugging it in,so i went and bought it.
It does work, i get a dial tone, and i can dial out on my phone line here in the Sacramento area.
Now my problem with this phone is such low dial tone volume, and trying to hear the ringing of the dialed number, or trying to hear someone speaking to you at the other end, is pretty much impossible.
Something not wired correctly? Something missing? Mixed match of box & handset? I don't know.
Getting in over my head here with my other box, and now this problem with this one.
It's a 1936 model 202 phone, and the numbers on the subset box are.
L-1504-ASL
So right now i haven't a clue about what box it is. But i would venture to guess the phone and box aren't original mates to one another.
Any clues to the lack of volume problem?
Something that i can correct? Or throw in the towel?
Thank's guys.

Kenny C

hemi71x,
Could be someone didn't wire it right and just got it to work and it demagnetized the reciver.

Just a shot in the dark.
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Quote from: hemi71x on March 24, 2011, 05:23:22 PM
Went and purchased another phone and subset box, so i don't have to rewire my other one that i have inquired about in another posting.
Well, looks like i'm getting in deep with these old vintage telephones now.
This system was advertised to work as is, by just plugging it in,so i went and bought it.
It does work, i get a dial tone, and i can dial out on my phone line here in the Sacramento area.
Now my problem with this phone is such low dial tone volume, and trying to hear the ringing of the dialed number, or trying to hear someone speaking to you at the other end, is pretty much impossible.
Something not wired correctly? Something missing? Mixed match of box & handset? I don't know.
Getting in over my head here with my other box, and now this problem with this one.
It's a 1936 model 202 phone, and the numbers on the subset box are.
L-1504-ASL
So right now i haven't a clue about what box it is. But i would venture to guess the phone and box aren't original mates to one another.
Any clues to the lack of volume problem?
Something that i can correct? Or throw in the towel?
Thank's guys.

The number you posted is not familiar to me.  Can you post a photo of the subset?  Did you buy it locally or over e-Bay?

-Bill G

hemi71x

eBay purchase.
Automatic Electric  Northlake, Illinois is the manufacturer of the box.
Here's some pictures.

rdelius

Does the box have an induction coil under the terminal strip?. If not you are wired in series.There is not much room to install a modern network in that box
Robby

bingster

I think this one's an extension ringer, rather than a subset.  This would have been mounted in some out-of-the-way place, to make it easier to know when the phone was ringing elsewhere in the house.  It's not actually meant to be hooked to a telephone, but is rather a stand-alone piece of equipment. 
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

Yup.

To modify my earlier post, these were also mated to telephones, but only to spacesavers which had networks inside them.  No network = improper functionality.
= DARRIN =

hemi71x

So, what you guys are trying to tell me, this ain't gonna work properly either.
Guess i'm going to throw in the towel now for sure.
That's it for me. No more. I'm done.
Going to stick with what i know.
Old Mopar muscle cars, and parts.
Jim V.

AE_Collector

Yeah that's an AE 32 Extension Ringer, not a subset. Now you have two phones and no subsets!

No need to give up but you need to find and buy the right thing. Buying a GM cylinder head to replace your cracked Mopar block isn't going to work not only because it isn't the right manufacturer but also because it isn't the correct item.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Was that same box also used for subsets?  If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to add an induction coil and another capacitor and make that box into a subset.  It would look like an AE subset on a WE phone, but the phone won't care.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 24, 2011, 09:45:07 PM
Was that same box also used for subsets?

Yes the exact same box was available with an induction coil and second (or two in one) capacitor to make it a complete subset. The induction coil would be mounted under the terminal stip if it was a complete subset. A modern network would earlily fit inside the AE ringer box to make it a complete subset.

Terry

bingster

I'm sure rewiring the other box would be the easiest solution.  It's already got an appropriate coil and condenser in it.  The small coil just needs to come out.

Don't give up, Jim. We've all come up against something perplexing, but with a bit of help, we get through it, and come out on the other side with a bit more knowledge.
= DARRIN =

hemi71x

Ok guys.
Here's what i did.
I disconnected the cord that goes from this "ringer box" that plugs into the wall.
It has 4 wires to it. Green, Red, Yellow, Black.
I connected the Green wire to L1, the Red wire to L2 on the "subset" box in the picture below.
But i don't know where to connect the Yellow or the Black wires.
Now i get a good, strong dial tone, and i can dial out ok. I can clearly hear an incoming call that my friends message machine leaves.
BUT here's the problem.
I can't talk out, and nobody can hear me.
I suspect that's because the other wires aren't hooked up, or i have to disconnect or reconnect other wires to other locations, so that i can talk out.
Is there any location on this box that i can at least hook up the other two wires as a test and see if i can talk out?
Well, that's what i've been up to tonight.  :)

AE_Collector

The Black and Yellow leads that go to the telephone jack aren't needed. Just tape them up so they don't short anything out.

Are you certain that there is a transmitter in the handset of the phone?

Others will have to help you beyond that.

Terry