News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

A journey of 80 miles takes many steps, in the USPS First Class program, at times . . .

Sent an 3 ounce 5" by 8" bubble pack to Waukegan, IL, just 80 miles from my house. An hour and a half drive.

In all their wisdom, the package went from Waukesha to Oak Creek (the main post office for Milwaukee) and then past Waukegan to Oak Grove and over to Palatine where it was last logged. Next stop should be the Post Office in Waukegan for delivery to the home.

That's 140 miles and just over two and a half hours of driving.   :-\  assuming the next stop is indeed Waukegan an not some other scenic tourist spot the the greater Chicago metroplex.

Just one of those 1 in 10 million packages shipments.

AE_Collector

I'm betting Phoenix Arizona will be the next stop.

Terry

Dan/Panther

Quote from: twocvbloke on July 27, 2014, 02:48:08 PM
That's nothing, a friend of mine who lives in Texas has bought things that were within the same state a few hours from him, and yet the USPS seems to enjoy sending them on a round trip to New York and back, haven't the USPS heard of the phrase "Keep it local"?  ::)
This is exactly what i was going to post, it seems to be a Texas thing. I sent a package to a guy in Texas, it got to a station 20 miles from his home, YET the next notice shows it routed through New York, then BACK to Texas. No wonder they can't turn a profit.
Then on top of it all, they subcontract through UPS, And Fed-Ex.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 28, 2017, 12:32:52 PM
This is exactly what i was going to post, it seems to be a Texas thing. I sent a package to a guy in Texas, it got to a station 20 miles from his home, YET the next notice shows it routed through New York, then BACK to Texas. No wonder they can't turn a profit.
Then on top of it all, they subcontract through UPS, And Fed-Ex.

Yes, there is Texas and then there is OPA LOCKA.

As for my Waukegan delivery, it got there today so no hang up in delivery. Now, I can see why it went to Oak Creek (the USPS main metro hub at the Milwaukee airport) and then to Elm Grove (the USPS main metro hub next of O'Hare airport - by truck or air), but why to Palatine instead of directly to Waukegan? Thrown in the wrong bin, I guess. Anyway, it didn't go to AZ or become an OPA LOCKA event.

HarrySmith

Finally a delivery through Opa Locka that was not delayed!! I am a happy camper this time!  Package spent less than 2 hours there and 6 hours later it was about an hour north in Coral Springs, where I live.  Although I don't understand why it went that far south to come back north to me??

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:
Priority Mail™

Features:

USPS Tracking®

Up to $100 insurance included
Restrictions Apply Priority Mail Insurance info icon

Date & Time

Status of Item

February 20, 2017 , 7:08 am

Arrived at Hub

CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071 

Your item arrived at the Hub at 7:08 am on February 20, 2017 in CORAL SPRINGS, FL 33071.

February 20, 2017 , 1:09 am

Departed USPS Destination Facility .

OPA LOCKA, FL 33054 

February 19, 2017 , 11:24 pm

Arrived at USPS Destination Facility .

OPA LOCKA, FL 33054 

February 19, 2017 , 4:25 pm

In Transit to Destination .

February 19, 2017 , 12:33 am

Departed USPS Facility .

NORTH TEXAS PROCESSING AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Last week, I received a package with a somewhat valuable radio in it.  It was delivered by the USPS, but not to me.  It was delivered to a house on the far end of the next street north of here.  Fortunately, the occupants of that house are friends of mine, so they sent my package to me by way of a young neighbor of theirs who was doing work for them.  Had the package been given to certain other neighbors, I would not likely have ever received it.

Larry

19and41

Just had a package returned to the sender as undeliverable to my address last Saturday.  So much for the priority mailing.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: 19and41 on March 06, 2017, 01:02:22 PM
Just had a package returned to the sender as undeliverable to my address last Saturday.  So much for the priority mailing.

The letter carrier may not have bothered to try to deliver the package, but at least they didn't dump it into the woods somewhere.  There has been alot of that happening lately.

Larry

19and41

I did get mail that day.  I thought maybe it had gotten a dose of those Opa Locka cooties and went astray.   :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Sargeguy

I sent two packages out a week and a half a go. I handed both to the mail carrier.  Neither has arrived and there is no tracking record on them.  If they don't turn up I am out around $250. 

In related news the package I sent to a seller in Italy through eBay Global Shipping got opened and several parts are missing.

Another package I ordered from Amazon arrived already opened.  I assume it was delivered to the wrong address and they dropped it off.

I've decided that I am going to get one of those Ring video doorbells so I can keep track of my mail carriers. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

You'd be better off with an IP camera and an appropriate DVR or NVR to record them, those Ring things aren't that speedy or reliable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 12, 2017, 10:55:43 PM

In related news the package I sent to a seller in Italy through eBay Global Shipping got opened and several parts are missing.

Are you covered by their Global Shipping?   
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 12, 2017, 10:55:43 PM
I sent two packages out a week and a half a go. I handed both to the mail carrier.  Neither has arrived and there is no tracking record on them.  If they don't turn up I am out around $250.

That is why I always take packages to the post office and have the clerk who I give the package to do an "acceptance scan" and get a print out showing the info.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Global Shipping should cover it, but the guy doesn't seem to understand that he needs to make a claim with eBay Global shipping and keeps asking me if I have replacements.  I am not thrilled with the idea of sending anything to Italy, which was why I had Global Shipping do it.  He apparently does not speak English, and is using Google Translate or something. 

My local PO is in the middle of Brown University and parking is a (expletive deleted), so I usually just give it to the carrier. Even when you do find a space you need to go to the parking kiosk and pay for a ticket.  And there is almost always a line of foreign students trying to mail stuff back home. It is probably easier for me to use FedEx or UPS. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

After I advised the Italian customer that his damages should be covered under the eBay Global Shipping program, and instructed him to file a claim, he opened a case with PayPal.  I know that PayPal usually just resolves these issues by refunding the buyer.

For the other package the PO's advice was basically, give it time, it might still show up.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409