News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Metal North Electric 3H

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 30, 2015, 06:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I had been looking for a good North metal H-series phone, and I finally found one a few days ago: ebay link.  The phone cost me a total of about $47, but I also had to replace the cords.  The paint is in mostly great condition.  I touched up the chipped areas with a Testors black paint marker and gave the shell a good poilishing with with ScratchX.  I polished the bakelite handset with Greygate polishing paste.  The seller is relatively close to me, so shipping took only one day.  Almost all of the dates are from 1941.  Below are some pictures of the phone after the cleanup.  I think that it came out reasonably well by my standards.  The phone does work, and it is now in use on my desk.  The first call that I answered with it was actually from our own Dennis Markham.

Larry

Dennis Markham

The phone cleaned up nicely, Larry.  I didn't know until I read this that you were speaking on the North when we spoke earlier today.  Your transmission was as loud and clear.  Congratulations on adding the North to your collection.

~Dennis

Buzby

Beautiful job, Larry.

Looks nothing like the ebay listing. A proud addition to your collection.

LarryInMichigan

Thank you for the comments.  The ugly sticker residue which appears on the front of the shell in the listing pictures was mostly gone when the phone arrived, so the seller must have done some cleaning before shipping the phone.  Perhaps the listing pictures scared off some potential bidders.  This phone probably wasn't a bargain, but I like it.  The earlier style North dial is nice.  Whoever designed these dials had alot of time on their hands.

Larry

Doug Rose

Real nice job Larry. I love the metal Norths. Does the dial have an echo like a depth charge in the old war movies before a sub got hit. Its all I can think off with these old North dials. Nice phone and it was a good price for it.....Doug
Kidphone

Buzby

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 30, 2015, 08:25:46 PMThe earlier style North dial is nice.  Whoever designed these dials had alot of time on their hands.

One of these would finish off that phone quite well. http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/north-electric-dial-number-cards-and-lucite-discs.html

mentalstampede

Lovely! That's a nice one with the north dial and straight line ringer especially.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 30, 2015, 08:48:32 PM
Real nice job Larry. I love the metal Norths. Does the dial have an echo like a depth charge in the old war movies before a sub got hit. Its all I can think off with these old North dials. Nice phone and it was a good price for it.....Doug

The dial doesn't have an echo, but the piece that opens and closes the pulsing contacts makes quite a bit of noise.

Larry