"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting hung up over something silly

Started by Phonesrfun, June 02, 2010, 02:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Ok, now for some levity.

How many auctions have we seen of a candlestick or a wood wall phone with the receiver in the hook upside down?  You know the one.  It looks like the first picture seen here.....

To me, it is the equivalent of the second picture.

Are people trying to get attention and draw people to their auctions, or do they just not know any better?  Something I have often wondered.

PS: no animals or phones were actually abused by taking these pictures, although the candlestick had to spend a couple hours in counseling after the demeaning and ghastly photo.   :D

-Bill G

Greg G.

If you squint at the second picture it sorta looks like Mickey Mouse.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

Sometimes it works...  ;) ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I have seen listings with pictures with the whole phone upside-down.  Even stranger are the pictures of phones in odd locations, such as on bathroom counters or on top of washing machines ;)

Larry

jsowers

I've seen my share of phone on washer pictures too. One or two of my best phones came from sellers who took the picture on a washer. I figure it's the only uncluttered horizontal surface they could find, or the light was good in their utility room or something.

One of my favorite auction pictures is the modular 500 or 2500 with the handset cord plugged into the mounting cord jack on the back of the phone. Sometimes they even claim the phone works, but I can't see how they ever plugged it in.
Jonathan

JorgeAmely

Bill:

So many phones in your collection that they are taking over your laundry room?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Phonesrfun

I guess in all my zeal to talk about the upside-down receiver, I neglected to think about the washing machine!

So, I am busted.

Washing machines do make excellent staging areas for all kinds of pictures, and I don't think I am alone.  To be sure, my desk and other areas of the house are very cluttered, and poorly lit.  Take, for example, the 5302 shots in another thread about the G1 handset on the 5302.  Lousy pictures, and I didn't even take the time to clear away the backdrop for that picture.

So, as Jonathan indicated, the washing machine was both well lit and the only uncluttered surface in the whole house.
-Bill G

jsowers

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 02, 2010, 11:52:30 AM
So, as Jonathan indicated, the washing machine was both well lit and the only uncluttered surface in the whole house.

Bill, I speak from experience.  :)  At the moment my iron is sitting on my washing machine. That was the least uncluttered place to iron a wrinkled shirt yesterday morning. As for pictures, I prefer either the front steps or the tailgate of my station wagon. I guess that's because my utility room has no windows.
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

Quote from: JorgeAmely on June 02, 2010, 11:45:05 AM
Bill:

So many phones in your collection that they are taking over your laundry room?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

They have taken over every other square inch, so yes, it's now the laundry room.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Bill;
I at least lets you know they know squat about the phone.

To take photos I have several different colored pieces of cloth rolled up on different pieces of PVC pipe. That way when I go to photograph something just drape it over the washer and then shoot.

One more thing, I have a washer like yours and it has a secondary rinse and a few other adjustments, however it does not properly spin dry the cloths do you have any trouble with that ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Dan:

I don't have any problem with the washer.  It comes with the rental house I am renting, and I have been here for two years with no problems what so ever (at least with the washer)   :o

It has been years since I last did anything with a washing machine, but you might just take a peek with a flashlight and see what you can see.  Maybe a belt or something easy.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 02, 2010, 02:14:46 PM

It has been years since I last did anything with a washing machine,

Bill: DO you just throw your clothes out now? ??? ;D

Terry

Phonesrfun

Terry:

I just keep getting myself in deeper, don't I?

What I meant was.....errrr..... well.....Oh never mind.   ;D

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Terry:

Good catch (and not Bill's clothes)!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

bwanna

a photo like that really drives an OCD person like me nuts.  :)  (no comment from you either, d/p)

jonathan, i actually had a case of trouble where the subscriber had the set plugged in to the jack with a handset cord. when i told him (yes, it was a guy) what the trouble was, his reply was that it was a brand new cord.  ::) & brand new usually means something they dug out of a box somewhere.  ;)
donna