"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to use this Forum

Started by princessphone, May 01, 2014, 01:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

Hi there,
I'm a new member and have learned a lot in a short time, and have found this forum very helpful. Also the members are very resourceful and kind.
Being challenged with computers and the terminology of forums ( like threads, boards, icons etc.)  I feel I'm not receiving the full potential this forum has to offer.
So my question is: Is there a user guide , manual or instruction sheet for this forum.
Today I wanted to find out the best way to remove the plastic finger wheel /dial from a princess phone. I finally found it but it did not explain how to put it back on.  Also I want to learn how to take it all apart to give it a good cleaning. With that spring inside it looks like a big job.
I wish I could understand the "search" option better so that I wouldn't have to start a new topic to solve issues that have been discussed before.
With all due respect, John DeJonge   

TelePlay

The "search" function is one of the more difficult to use. It requires patience, time, the correct or good choice of search terms, reading through a lot of hits and a bucket of luck. The information is out there. You can also use the ADVANCED search which lets you narrow or guide the search to better find the information you need. There is a"user manual" of sorts here

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Search

BDM

Welcome John :D I agree with John (TelePlay). The search function (similar on most forums/boards for that matter) is the biggest learning curve. Learning to use multiple searches with different search terms. Also note in "search" you can choose to only pull messages that have your particular criteria in the title or all messages. Many different choices.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

poplar1

To replace the plastic fingerwheel on an 8A (Princess) or 9-type (500) dial:

1. Place the fingerwheel so that the operator hole is over the 9.
2. Rotate the fingerwheel counterclockwise approximately 30 degrees, until you hear the click.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

princessphone

Thank you TelePlay and BDM. I feel much better now. From your link I discovered what "boards" are. I'll just keep plugging away and as suggested it will be a learning exercise.
To popular1, Thanks for describing how to reattach the fingerwheel. I'm allways afraid of forcing things and breaking them.
John DeJonge

Slal

Good topic since I'm new myself.  ; )

Don't mean to intrude, but also have "How to use" question.

Where do we find out how much storage space left for attachments?  Don't seem to see any "Manage Attachments" menu where they can be edited or information about them.  e.g. "You are using 12% of X MB allotment."

thx

--Bruce

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on May 01, 2014, 11:42:00 AM
To replace the plastic fingerwheel on an 8A (Princess) or 9-type (500) dial:

1. Place the fingerwheel so that the operator hole is over the 9.
2. Rotate the fingerwheel counterclockwise approximately 30 degrees, until you hear the click.

Voilà c'était facile :D. :P