News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is the correct bias spring position for a B1A ringer?

Started by RotoTech99, April 20, 2022, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

What is the proper tension for the bias spring of a B1A ringer, please?

I've got a couple I think are out of adjustment, and would like to get them back to a bias that allows for a good clear ring...

ISTR there being pictures showing showing the bias spring and what the "normal settings" should be.

I'd appreciate it and thank graciously any feedback and help CRPF can offer.

RotoTech99

TelePlay

I don't think there is a proper or correct setting.

Where the spring is set is based on your ringer's electrical specs (voltage, current, capacitance, inductance) and the physical characteristics of your ringer including gong placement.

ISTR members rang their phones with the spring in all 3 positions and then placed it in the position they preferred.

It seems it may have been a field adjustment when initially installing the phone.

Then, again, I may be wrong so will wait to hear what others say about that adjustment - there may even be a BSP on that.

tubaman

Quote from: TelePlay on April 20, 2022, 09:03:47 PMI don't think there is a proper or correct setting.

Where the spring is set is based on your ringer's electrical specs (voltage, current, capacitance, inductance) and the physical characteristics of your ringer including gong placement.

ISTR members rang their phones with the spring in all 3 positions and then placed it in the position they preferred.

Quite agree. I just adjust them to get the best combination of ringing together with no bell tinkle when another phone is dialing. The UK system does allow for the bell part of the circuit to be rewired to prevent bell tinkle but if the bias spring works then I often don't bother with that.

HarrySmith

I agree also. If the ringer does not sound good to me I try the other positions and leave it at what sounds best. I do not think there is a right or wrong setting.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotoTech99

Dear CRPF:

HI, when I asked about the "proper" bias setting, I was thinking of what the spring's factory setting was..

I'd agree with the Forum, it is  a matter of preference on where to set it.

RotoTech99

poplar1

Middle setting was correct for 80% of the installations, according to 1942 BLR article.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.