News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

[Its Here!] A Switchboard Section on CRPF ??

Started by Babybearjs, March 28, 2012, 11:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

we need a section on this forum for switchboard units. (IE schematics, manuals, etc.) I know there is a section for CO equipment, does switchboards fall into that section?
John

DavePEI

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 28, 2012, 11:44:35 AM
we need a section on this forum for switchboard units. (IE schematics, manuals, etc.) I know there is a section for CO equipment, does switchboards fall into that section?
Yes, switchboards would qualify as C.O. equipment...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Not to be contrary, but I think due to first the fact that switchboards are a very specialized sort of thing and second that there are so many different variations and configurations that a special switchboard section would be too specialized.  Especially if the expectation is for documents, schematics, and manuals.  You could fill a whole library with that kind of documentation.  I think that is the kind of niche the TCI document repository/library is trying to fill.

www.telephonecollectors.info

Just my two cents.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Hi Bill:

Essentially what I was saying. It would make more sense to include switchboards as C.O. Equipment rather than as its own category. Insofar as manuals and schematics, the TCI repository (or as someone put it the other day, the Supository) would be a more appropriate place for large files, and already has a number of them. I have drawings on my site for a lot of the 1200 series boards (1240, etc.), and there are a ton of 555 documents on TCI.

www.islandregister.com/phones/phonelink.html

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

The document library is seemingly going through some growing pains, but I have high hopes for it. 

I do know that finding stuff there can be tricky given the rather simple-minded search engine it has but still it is better than what was there before.

I have a 552, and someday I hope to get a 555 which I think would be a more friendly and easier to demo board.

I had not been to your site for a while, and maybe never to that page.  That is a good reference, I'll have to bookmark
-Bill G

Babybearjs

thanks guys... I do agree that the library is the best place for all that stuff! so, it is considered CO equipment... thanks. since I just won my first switchboard part on ebay it was worth asking about.  once I get the part, I'll have to get it identified.... and from the pics, rewire the whole thing.... this is going to be fun :-[ (I hate soldering) thanks again!  John
John

Phonesrfun

Ok, now let me understand....  You bought switchboard parts that you are going to wire up......and you hate soldering......

Hmmm  At least you will get some practice.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

I'm reluctant to create a section for switching.  As Bill said the possibilities are endless with respect to subjects to be covered.  I have considered creating another Forum strictly for switchers.  I mentioned this last year to another member who was interested.  I have purchased a domain name but just don't know if there would be enough interest as many switchers communicate via the TCI list.  If those of you that are interested believe a separate forum for switchers would be helpful, let me know.

Weco355aman

As a Switch person i do support a separate forum.
Switching, transmission and outside plant is a very complex field.
From my reading of this forum 95% are only interested in repairing their  garage sale phones. There is a few that are collectors as members.  Central Office( switchers) is way to complex and out of the scope of this forum. I believe less that 1% of forum members have any interest  in Key systems or switching. Please understand I'm not
being judgemental.
Phil   
Phil

DavePEI

C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Phil is probably fairly close to being accurate with his numbers.

I support a seperate switchers forum if it uses this same or similar forum software.

Switchboards are either CO equipment or PBX equipment though the Answering Service variety may not officially be PBX's and they aren't CO.

Then there is "key equipment" which is a sub category of switching equipment though it has a lot closer relationship to telephone sets than other forms of switching equipment.

Terry

Babybearjs

wow, got you guys talking! :o   anyway, thanks for the input
John

DavePEI

Hi All:

This is going to be interesting. Though my demo switch is built from North American Strowger switches, PEI's first automatic switch was made by England's ATE and installed in 1950. I have managed to find one ATE selector, but all of the Island's ATE switches went both to the scrappers, and a few to Newfoundland to maintain their old switches there in 1988 when a NT DMS-100 replaced the 1950 strowger system.

Well, I got a phone call from an Island Tel retiree. He had saved a number of the Summerside switches, including in his words,  (ITE English Strowger step x step selectors, one being a multi-party final with a second stage for a ring code; line-finders, 1st selectors.)

He, and another Island Tel retirees are going to call me at the beginning of the week, and bring them all. The multi party final is apparently quite interesting, and will be coming down with the rest of the stuff....

I may be able to build up another Demo system using the original 1950 switch parts!

Can't wait. As Monday is the delivery day for one of the payphones I am expecting for the museum also, Monday will be a banner day!

Below, photo of the Type 51 switch I currently have.
Second Photo, a view towards the switch I built up from North American (mostly Northern Electric - the beige ones) switches for demos in the museum.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I was watching "The secret life of machines - The telephone" the other night, and was watching the "Click & Bang" strowgers in action, and it made me wonder if there are any of those exchanges anywhere in the UK left in full service, or if everything is all digital with no mechanical exchanges for us regular people... ???

I have heard that the military keep mechanical and analogue stuff in service though, just as they keep old vehicles on the roads, as it could be put into service if something major like a nuke ever happened (as such a thing could wipe out electronic chips, like that used for TV transmitters & receivers, phone exchanges, radio and all that), though it is highly unlikely such a thing could happen in this day and age, it could be an interesting source for spares if they ever "upgrade" their emergency equipment... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: DavePEI on March 30, 2012, 10:23:44 AM
Well, I got a phone call from an Island Tel retiree. He had saved a number of the Summerside switches, including in his words,  (ITE English Strowger step x step selectors, one being a multi-party final with a second stage for a ring code; line-finders, 1st selectors.)

I may be able to build up another Demo system using the original 1950 switch parts!

For this, I am going to need a dial tone generator, and unless I am very lucky and the guy also kept a panel of l/co relays for the linefinder, I will also need these. I have banks.

Another thing I will need are three shelf jacks to fit the British switches - N.A. ones won't fit.

Another 48 volt 7 amp power supply has been ordered. Other than these items, I think I will have everything needed for the project except for a rack.

Anyone have any of these parts available?

Photo below of an AEI type 51 switch similar to a couple of the selectors coming. Others apparently are older, and have no release magnet. Interesting...

Dave

C*NET 1-651-0001