News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Examples of reproduction/fake candlesticks and parts

Started by Sargeguy, November 04, 2012, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

They are poorly constructed and wired in series. Dials are ITI copys of the British type 24 dial.Dials removed from Bakelite ITI 332 sets.These sets are getting worse not better.Sometimes marked Western Electric London or GEC General Electric

Sargeguy

I am merging this into the fake candlestick thread for future reference
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

ItalianAce

Okay I have a question. We see and talk a lot about reproduction and Korean fake 50ALs and 51ALs, and dial type desk stand phones. But what about the Pre-Dial? Has anyone replicated or knocked off say the 20AL brass or 40AL steel base stands that we know of? In all my research I never seen any reference, pictures, or the likes of replicated or fake Pre-Dial WE phone bases. Even on ebay. Im talking about an actual clone of the below pictured base. Maybe there isn't any? Of course the other parts of the phone can be fakes such as transmitter face, cup, handlepole, etc, but just speaking now about the perch and base. I have been see very good knock off replicated nickel plated Kellogg transmitter cups lately on ebay. The picture below is of course an actual 20AL base and not a reproduction...but just showing too see if anyone has ever spoted a repro of the WE 20/40 series bases.

poplar1

I haven't seen any. On the other hand, there are a lot of the non-dial bases available-- Some sellers replace the  original non-dial base with a fake dial base, then claim the converted phone is "all original" or "mostly old."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ItalianAce

Yeah same. I'm thinking the dial less ones aren't as popular to make a replicated base because the WE pre-dials aren't as much in demand collectors wise. Maybe because they lack a dial or ability to add a dial so outside of showing or using it for incoming calls only the phone can't be used for calling out. I see a lot of the WE 20 and 40 series go for cheap or not sell at all on ebay.

I'm seeing that too with the dial replicated bases. Or a WE phone on a AE dial base. Than its being sold as original even though the base itself is a new replicated one or mixed phone. Same for the receiver hook. It takes away from the art of collecting, and ruins it for those that really want an original 5X model desk stand. Ebay wise it can be hard to tell if it's a really clean and shinny original 5X base or an identical replicated one (especially if the seller decides to black paint the replicated base than mark it up a bit to look older than it is. It was recently...some time end of last year I believe...I saw people bidding like crazy on one of those Korean fakes.

Here's a replicated produced base being sold on ebay right now designed be added to the non-dial or missing base of a 5X/151 mode; although its titled as being a replicated base, but looks almost identical to the original 51 bases:  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reproduction-Western-Electric-Candlestick-Dial-Base-/180581978827?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a0b8652cb

poplar1

On ebay, many times a real Western Electric dial candlestick will go cheap if it is stripped down to the bare brass. Because many of these were made into lamps, the wiring harness is usually gone and the perch and hookswitch contacts may be mutilated.

ItalianAce

Oh yeah totally. It seems that almost any 20AL-302 phone that has no modular cord or the cords missing/cut off sell for like 50-75 percent cheaper than the ones that have them on and "ready to use".  I bidded on but lost (by like $2.00 but no big deal) a 533A that sold for $81.00 in December. Simply because the the receiver and modular cord was missing. Otherwise it was almost mint looking inside even the paper diagram was fully/clean attached. Well...maybe because it was dialess might have had a reseaon too...but yes...untouched seems to far cheaper, and for the person that can add a cord or fix a wrong wire it's a great steal. Same for subsets.

Sargeguy

Repro bases do not have the patent dates. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

All the repro WE-style bases I have seen  have the same patent dates as the real WE. Sometimes the letters are not as nice. Sometimes the 1s in JAN 1 18 are too close together (JAN 118). The one OPW is selling has the dates. Sometimes you can't use all 3 screws to mount the dial because the holes don't line up.

poplar1

Here's the OPW picture from the listing linked preiously:

ItalianAce

Yeah, I guess the newer repro bases have the pat dates (in the front) that are more closer to the original than past repro models.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

"Antique Western Electric Company Brass Candle Stick Phone Great Patina~ retro"

They call it "retro" not "repro"---I guess that's just a typo!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251209980674

Russ62

This may be old info, but don't forget to check the cord grommet area on brass dial candlesticks. The repro. bases have a crude flattish grommet but the originals have a tight round lip edge that looks factory.         Russell

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409