News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Elecrtric 10 Candlestick

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 12, 2014, 11:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just got an incomplete Western Electric #10 candlestick in rough condition, and I would appreciate advice on how to restore it (instead of ruining it).  It obviously needs a proper receiver and mouthpiece (the mouthpiece which came with it is the wrong size), and the finish is quite rough.  Is this solid nickel?  How do I go about removing ~120 years or dirt and corrosion?  The bottom cover is wood with a metal ring nailed or riveted to it.  Is this correct?  Is the *229* transmitter correct for this stick?

Thank You

Larry

TelePlay

Very nice. Looks like the tapered shaft listed on the Old Telephone site. Their photo shows an OST long pole receiver and a 229 transmitter.. Would say you have a project on your hands but they are beautiful when restored.

This photo is from their site at the link above. EDIT: which appears to be not working this morning:  http://oldtelephones.com/ the above link is once again working

dencins

"Is this solid nickel?"

It is nickel plated brass.

Dennis Hallworth

zaphod01

I use this site as a reference for candlesticks...

www.tinyurl.com/nb6b2vm

Robert
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

Doug Rose

Larry....great find. I would ask Dennis if he would renickel it for you. Mine has a *229* transmitter and a wood base like yours. You hit a home run....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 19, 2015, 09:12:01 PM
Did you ever finish restoring this?

No.  I gave it a good soaking in CLR which made it look much better, but it could still do with a nickel plating and a receiver.

Larry