News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 1A - Red with Gold Trim

Started by wds, January 20, 2015, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Stumbled across this old phone last week.  Seems to be in pretty good shape except for the broken cradle.  Any idea what it's worth?  I don't have any colored phones in my collection, so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not.
Dave

AE_Collector

How does everyone keeping "stumbling upon" these coloured AE's? Everyone except me that is!

Did you see sebel's Ivory 1A that he sold on ebaY for $1025?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13443.0

Terry

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

I found a free red trimline once, I'd say I'm doing pretty well. You want to trade?

wds

Nah on the trimline.  But I would trade for a nice candlestick.  I'd really like one of those Sterling fluted shaft sticks. 
Dave

AE_Collector

So any hints at just how good of a "FIND" this was? And speaking of "FINDs".....not too many entries for January so far.

Terry

wds

The strange part was it took me 30 minutes after I saw it to decide to buy it.  I was sure it was too good to be true.  I still wasn't quite sure what I was looking at but went ahead and bought it. 
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: wds on January 20, 2015, 08:43:05 PM
The strange part was it took me 30 minutes after I saw it to decide to buy it.  I was sure it was too good to be true.  I still wasn't quite sure what I was looking at but went ahead and bought it. 
That was probably the best decision you made all month.

HINT HINT...
Christian Petterson

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI don't have any colored phones in my collection, so I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not.

That can be a tough decision, so take as long as you need.  In the mean time, I would be happy to hold it for you so as not to disturb your collection ;)

Larry

AE40FAN

Amazing find! That should bring in BIG bucks...

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 22, 2015, 11:48:19 AM
You didn't say how much you paid ?
D/P
Seeing as though he had next to no idea what it was, he probably didn't pay much.
Christian Petterson

wds

I saw the phone had been delivered, so I went home real quick to retrieve the package and take a couple pictures.  Nothing damaged in shipping that I can tell.   Some discoloration but looks like it could be restored without too much trouble.
Dave

WEBellSystemChristian

You should buy a repro nickel switchhook, it will look much better than the current, broken black one.
Christian Petterson

wds

I agree - I was wondering though if there might be a gold plated cradle available to match the gold trim on the handset and dial, or would it be easier to just switch out the gold pieces for nickel plated.
Dave