News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 51-AL faint voice

Started by winkydink, July 28, 2011, 10:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I have a WE 51-AL Candlestick phone hooked up to a  WE 534A subset.

The problem I am having is that my voice sounds faint to anyone I am talking to.  When I talk into the transmitter (with the dial tone) my voice is loud and clear through the reciever, but on the other side it is very faint.

Is this a transmitter problem, a subset problem, both ?

Can transmitters from this era be fixed or will it need to be replaced (if thats what it is).

Any help diagnosing the problem would be much appreciated !

Kenny C

winkydink,

The 51-AL is a sidetone stick and the 534 is a sidetone subset. Everyone says I sound distant on mine too.

Try talking louder and with your moth closer to the transmitter cup. That usually helps
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Stephen Furley

I have a candlestick which I do use occasionally.  I find that I tend to hold it too far from my mouth.  With a handset if you hold the receiver to the ear the transmitter will be quite close to the mouth; with the separate transmitter and receiver of the candlestick you can speak at whatever distance you like from the transmitter, and I find that I usually don't speak close enough.  When telephones were first introduced was any guidance given to users as to how close they should speak I wonder?