News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE302 finger dial does not return

Started by RAW302, September 05, 2013, 11:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAW302

I recently purchased a WE302 (all dates 4/50) on Ebay.  The dial moved freely in both directions when I bought it but now the finger dial gets stuck and won't return to the original position without my help.  For example, I dial the number 2, release at the finger stop, the wheel retracts maybe 1/2" and then sticks there until I give it a counterclockwise nudge.  Then it returns to the original position.  Same story for every number on the dial, every time.   I'm a newbie.  Love my phone, use my phone, want to understand my phone and how to troubleshoot this problem.  Thanks for your expertise.
Rachel

AE_Collector

Welcome to the classic phone forum!

Have you removed the base to see if anything like some of the wires are stuck somewhere that they shouldn't be in the dial? It probably needs cleaning and lubricating which you will likely soon have lots of help with. Or you can send it out to Steve Hilsz for a vacation and tune up!

Terry

RAW302

Yes, I had previously opened up the case and everything seemed to be in order, no wires obstructing anything.  I opened it up again and propped it up (see photo) trying to determine why the finger wheel was getting stuck on the return.  Went to lunch, came back and spun the dial and it returns smoothly every time I dial if the phone is propped upside down like this.  As soon as I put the phone upright, the dial goes back to the same problem (dials fine up the the finger stop, then gets stuck and needs a nudge to make the return to original position).  Something related to the law of gravity but I can't figure out what the deal is.  Any thoughts?
Rachel

WesternElectricBen

Do any of the gears have vertical play? That might help. If you check that, maybe it is in correct position when flipped over.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: RAW302 on September 07, 2013, 04:14:37 PM
Yes, I had previously opened up the case and everything seemed to be in order, no wires obstructing anything.  I opened it up again and propped it up (see photo) trying to determine why the finger wheel was getting stuck on the return.  Went to lunch, came back and spun the dial and it returns smoothly every time I dial if the phone is propped upside down like this.  As soon as I put the phone upright, the dial goes back to the same problem (dials fine up the the finger stop, then gets stuck and needs a nudge to make the return to original position).  Something related to the law of gravity but I can't figure out what the deal is.  Any thoughts?
What you have, my friend is a rare ceiling phone. It is designed to work upside down or on the other side of the world, e.g.  in China.  ::)

All kidding aside, this is a sign of  a worn dial which lubrication might help. If you are faint hearted, Steve Hilsz will do an excellent job on it for a few dollars.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

RAW302

;D I've been to China twice and never ran across any of these phones there so I have to assume I've got one of those rare ceiling phones.  Great concept!

Thanks for the perspective.  I'm not up to disassembling the whole dial but I may try some contact cleaner and a bit of 3 in 1 oil and see how it behaves.  If that doesn't do the trick I will definitely ship my rarity to Steve and let someone who knows what he's doing tackle it. 

Thanks much for all suggestions.

Rachel
Rachel

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: RAW302 on September 07, 2013, 10:12:16 PM
;D I've been to China twice and never ran across any of these phones there so I have to assume I've got one of those rare ceiling phones.  Great concept!

Thanks for the perspective.  I'm not up to disassembling the whole dial but I may try some contact cleaner and a bit of 3 in 1 oil and see how it behaves.  If that doesn't do the trick I will definitely ship my rarity to Steve and let someone who knows what he's doing tackle it. 

Thanks much for all suggestions.

Rachel

If you have sewing machine oil I would use that.
Ben

TelePlay

As a quick fix I use Radio Shack tuner cleaner, the type without the lubricant, carefully and liberally to bearing points a few times and then sparingly oil the bearing points with a light oil. Not a permanent fix but if it helps, then a trip to Steve Hilz for cleaning and adjustment would be the real fix.

RAW302

Yes, I have Bernina sewing machine oil and will use that.  I did get a non-lubricating electrical contact cleaner (not from Radio Shack but hopefully similar.)  Thanks to all for the information/suggestions.  I'll muster up my nerve and try this. 

Rachel
Rachel

RAW302

I took out my dial to clean it with non-lubricating electrical contact cleaner and could see where the problem was coming from.  When dialing it would get "stuck" on the return at this pawl arm (see photo).  The arm/rubber tip wouldn't slide easily without a nudge.  After cleaning it seems to turn and return freely now.  I oiled this pivot point (see photo) but not sure where else to oil.  I read Markham's post on 7D dial cleaning and lubrication but it looks so different than the #5.
Rachel

TelePlay

Try this great photo layout, with very good working descriptions on each photo, put together by our forum member Jorge some time ago.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric5SeriesDialOverhaul#

RAW302

Thanks for the link with Jorge's excellent images and description.
Rachel

RAW302

I followed Jorge's dial overhaul photos and am so pleased that the dial now moves freely in both directions.  Not sure what I messed up but I now have no dial tone.  Attached a photo of the wiring which should be right because I labeled each wire so I'd know where to put it back.  Did I mess up something in the dial?
Rachel

TelePlay

Can you post a picture of just the relay stack (pileup) from an angle that shows the black rubber or plastic piece (the pawl). Take the photo from the pawl side looking over the contacts so the experts can see the position of the pawl and which relays are touching at rest. In other words, a top down close up of the pileup. From what I see in your photo, the pawl is not right. A better picture would help.

RAW302

Thank you, John.  Do these images help?
Rachel
Rachel