News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Slenderette Lighted Dial- How do you make it work

Started by c64man, October 28, 2013, 10:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c64man

So i just picked up an orange stromberg carlson slenderette from the telephone museum today,  and im curious to know how I get the lighted dial to work.   Does it require an external transformer??.   This is a more modern one with a modular plug on the end

WesternElectricBen

Does it have a rotary? If so, when you rotate the finger stop there should be nothing their, or LED. If it says LED it should work, provided everything else is functional.

Or if it doesn't say LED its incandescent, then you will need a external transformer.

That's how it works with WE Trimlines, so I'm guessing its very close to the same.

Ben

c64man

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 28, 2013, 11:15:10 PM
Does it have a rotary? If so, when you rotate the finger stop there should be nothing their, or LED. If it says LED it should work, provided everything else is functional.

Or if it doesn't say LED its incandescent, then you will need a external transformer.

That's how it works with WE Trimlines, so I'm guessing its very close to the same.

Ben

It doesnt say LED,  its a rotary with modular cord installed,  cant read the model number off the bottom either its too far faded

poplar1

Steve, you will need a 6-8 Volt AC transformer. Make sure that you wire it so that the power goes only to the lamp of the one phone, and that it does not backfeed into the Panasonic key system!

Normally a RJ14 modular jack is wired (when facing the jack) left to right black-red-green-yellow.  Green and red  are tip and ring (dial tone) and black and yellow are the second line or control leads or in this case, transformer for dial lamp.

Caution: you need to be careful about using Princess and Trimline phones connected directly to the Panasonic 308: if the lamps (light bulbs) are present and you have 4-conductor cords, connecting all 4 wires to the Panasonic will cause a short on the "high/low" control leads normally used for multi-line Panasonic sets. This is true *even if* you don't have the lamps powered up.

So, until you check your house wiring, always either remove the lamps, use 2-conductor cords from the Trimline/Slenderet/Trendline/Styleline or Princess/Contessa/Cinderella....or (best) if you have all your house wiring home run to where the Panasonic is, just cross-connect 2 wires (instead of 4) for each extension.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

c64man

Quote from: poplar1 on October 29, 2013, 09:12:26 AM
Steve, you will need a 6-8 Volt AC transformer. Make sure that you wire it so that the power goes only to the lamp of the one phone, and that it does not backfeed into the Panasonic key system!

Normally a RJ14 modular jack is wired (when facing the jack) left to right black-red-green-yellow.  Green and red  are tip and ring (dial tone) and black and yellow are the second line or control leads or in this case, transformer for dial lamp.

Caution: you need to be careful about using Princess and Trimline phones connected directly to the Panasonic 308: if the lamps (light bulbs) are present and you have 4-conductor cords, connecting all 4 wires to the Panasonic will cause a short on the "high/low" control leads normally used for multi-line Panasonic sets. This is true *even if* you don't have the lamps powered up.

So, until you check your house wiring, always either remove the lamps, use 2-conductor cords from the Trimline/Slenderet/Trendline/Styleline or Princess/Contessa/Cinderella....or (best) if you have all your house wiring home run to where the Panasonic is, just cross-connect 2 wires (instead of 4) for each extension.

When i connected the panasonic system I ran all new wiring to it,  So all that is ran is red and green through the house.  Red and green is all thats connected at each jack too.  

Would it be possible just to just run black and yellow out of the phone directly to an AC Transformer,  bypassing the home system completely

poplar1

Yes, that's what you want to do. Just run a wire from the transformer to yellow and black of the wall jack, and make sure the wire from the jack to the phone has at least 4 conductors.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.