News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Happy Fourth of July!

Started by Dennis Markham, July 04, 2009, 12:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

To everyone celebrating the Independence of our Country, Happy 4th of July! It seems like we were just talking about the "Bi-Centennial" and now it has been thirty-three years since then.  Time DOES fly when one is having fun!

A belated Canada Day to our Canadian friends who celebrated across the border on July 1st.  Not wanting to slight the rest of our readers from other Countries, I hope you all have a great day too wherever you are and whatever you're doing on this day.

The attached photo is a re-post of the photo I posted for President's Day a few months ago.   A piece of Americana courtesy of Western Electric.

HobieSport

Thanks Dennis! Happy Fourth Everyone!  I was about to start a thread about fun memories of past Fourth of July celebrations, so I'll just put them here.

My earliest memory was the parade in Watsonville, Calif. in 1962.  It was a big classic marching band, all scarlet and gold and lot's of brass instruments, horses, cannon, the whole shebang.  The parade scene in the movie "East of Eden" is actually very close to what we saw and was filmed in Watsonville around 1954.

In our small home town just north of Watsonville the tradition was for the volunteer fire department to collect scrap wood and cardboard from all over town and build a HUGE bonfire on the beach, and torch it off on the night of the Fourth. Of course as mischievous kids we had our own tradition of sneaking up to the huge fire and nonchalantly tossing in a cherry bomb or two that we had been saving all year and then running like heck before the big explosions and flying sparks. Dangerous as heck, naturally, and of course the fire department all knew it was us doing it, but they let it ride as part of the celebrations...

Nowadays we are a bit lower key here in Mendocino, with a parade with the usual goat-pulled carts piloted by kids in costume, and the "All Susan Marching Band" which consists of all women in town named Susan playing kazoos.  And of course the fire department with all trucks with sirens blaring.  And they still allow small bonfires on the beach in the evening with a fire truck standing nearby just in case...

Anyways, Happy Fourth to All.

-Matt

JorgeAmely

Now that Dennis started the fireworks showing his beautiful collection for red, white and blue sets, I decided to take a picture at some of my sets.

I also attached a couple of dial cards. Free to anyone who likes them.

Jorge

McHeath

Gee I wanna be in Mendocino for the 4th, a goat cart parade and a Susan Kazoo Band with bonfires on the beach, pretty fun stuff.  Here in my Central Valley town we try not to melt, supposed to 101 degrees today, and we have a little fireworks show at the park.

My most dramatic 4th of July memory was in Oklahoma back in 73', we were visiting my grandparents place and us boys were setting off bottle rockets.  We of course managed to set grandpas roof on fire with a stray rocket that went wild, never seen people get on a roof with garden hoses so fast!

To this day I still worry about my roof being set on fire on the 4th.  (it's wood shake shingles)

Is'nt it curious and interesting how many nations have some sort of independence/nationhood/patriotic celebration in the summer? 

bingster

People revolt in the summer because they're hot and cranky.

Happy 4th to everybody, and here's hoping you've done something fun today!
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

It seems difficult to believe that it's been a year already since I posted this photo.  For lack of a new one I'll post it again here.

I hope everyone in the U.S. of A. is having an enjoyable Fourth of July holiday.

Thanks to all of the women and men in the military serving to keep our Country free.  I am grateful to all of those that gave their lives, and those that returned home from past service so that we may all enjoy the freedoms that we have today.

JorgeAmely

The AE fan crowd deserve their photo also.

Happy 4th of July everyone.

My uncle Robert passed recently. Hats off to you sir for your excellent service to your country.

Jorge

AE_Collector

JorgeAmely

Quote from: ae_collector on July 04, 2010, 01:07:55 PM
Here, Here!

Terry, you are a nice Canadian. Here is a photo just for you:
Jorge

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

Happy independence day everyone and God bless you all and God Bless America
I heard that the government is gonna take that off of money. And bless those serving in our military fighting to keep this great nation free.

I went to a friends house a while back and I said to his Dad,"I am Kenny its nice to meet you". And he looked up and said"You will either be a preacher or a politician by the way you talk". I still am not sure how i should have taken it. I just did smiled and walked away.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 04, 2010, 01:22:17 PM

Thanks Jorge! As much as I LOVE your Dark Blue 80.....you need a picture of just the red and white 80's for Canada Day July 1.

Are the Nixie Tubes in the background counting down to NEXT July 4th??

Terry

Dan/Panther

Thank youy all for your service....
My Uncle, just passed yesterday, served in Korea. Turned 80 in March. 82nd Airborne, was with the U.N forces at the Chosin Reservoir.
He will be dearly missed.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Quote from: ae_collector on July 04, 2010, 03:17:28 PM
Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 04, 2010, 01:22:17 PM

Thanks Jorge! As much as I LOVE your Dark Blue 80.....you need a picture of just the red and white 80's for Canada Day July 1.

Are the Nixie Tubes in the background counting down to NEXT July 4th??

Terry
Terry:
Remind me for next year. The date on the Nixie display is today's date, when I took the picture.
Jorge

jiggerman

Want to wish all my American friends a great 4 th of July. Peace and freedom for all. Enjoy your day, Jiggerman