News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Moss green 564

Started by podor, June 19, 2015, 08:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podor

I just picked up a moss green WE 564. It is numbers matching from '63, except for the 2 gong ringer from '64. It has round line keys with a clear hold button, like the '62 and older black phones I've seen. I haven't seen one in color with the round buttons before. I'm pretty sure it's ABS. Are there any other color sets with the round buttons out there?

WesternElectricBen

The short answer is yes. Before switching to the square buttons there were multiline sets that were produced in the colors available.

Ben

Dave F

Here are two of mine: Gray 564 (1961) and Mahogany 544 (1956)

DF

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

podor

Thanks guys! I have learned a ton from this forum in the last few months.

I will post some pictures once I get it back together. I had to work out some wiring issues. The 25 pair connector end had about 10 wires broken off that have been repaired. The A leads before the key assembly were at the wrong terminals, now corrected. Now, the ground tab on the line 2 lamp has a broken rivet holding the tab to the ground strap. Not sure how I'm going to fix it yet.

podor

Well, she is cleaned up and working as it should. Line 3 and 4 were not used and had  3/8" round plastic tubes, or spacers, under the plastic button to keep the button from being depressed. I'm not sure if I have seen that before. There are no major defects and very few scratches, so I didn't do any buffing, just a good cleaning. I think it is soft plastic. It doesn't sound like my soft plastic black 565 when you put the receiver down, but it definitely doesn't sound like the ABS housing.

Phonesrfun

The different sound could be due to the elongated shape of the 565 shell.
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

If it's truly dates matching with nothing prior to mid-1959, it's ABS. An obvious indicator is that the handset has center holes. Although, I still like a colored multiline set; it sure was a nice find.

Ben

Dave F

Quote from: podor on June 21, 2015, 09:29:31 PM
<snip>...  Line 3 and 4 were not used and had  3/8" round plastic tubes, or spacers, under the plastic button to keep the button from being depressed...

Those spacers are called Blocking Rings.

Your green 564 is a very nice phone.  Enjoy it!

DF

Babybearjs

I have one of these too.... Mines a ITT version....
John

Pourme

Nice find, I have never ran across one of those. Those would have to be rare, compared to the large numbers of 500's made.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Pourme on October 07, 2016, 07:12:37 AM
Nice find, I have never ran across one of those. Those would have to be rare, compared to the large numbers of 500's made.
The black multilines this early are easy to find, but the colored ones are difficult.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 09, 2016, 10:46:28 AM
The black multilines this early are easy to find, but the colored ones are difficult.

No kidding !

February 1958  564HBR—54: